Newly purchased i7 3770 cooler not spinning properly

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello,

I just put together a new computer and everything seems to run well apart from the CPU, or the CPU's stock cooler, to be exact.

So, when I start my computer I see the stock cooler is not even spinning, I guess you could say it's lagging. What I mean is that the fan is not spinning at all for a few seconds and then spins really little, like 1/8 of a circle. Then the cycle repeats itself.

I read somewhere that the pushpins which are used to attach the cooler are quite difficult to get right, but I've tried pushing them in as far as I can.

Perhaps, the PSU might be the problem. I have a Corsair 650W TX, and specs are:

MSI Z77A-GD65
I7 3770k
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 670
8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, 1666MHz
Western Digital Green 1TB (which is an unformatted hard drive (could be the problem?))
Corsair TX 650W

Tell me what you think please, any ideas are appreciated :)

Thanks,

Joe

Did you plug it to the right connector near the RAM slots? Not the wrong sysfan2 in the middle of the board! And just in case you have strong case fans it might in fact not spin until the temp rises with the CPU load.

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Yes it is plugged in the right slot. I had it plugged in the sysfan2 before just to try if that would change anything but it didn't.

I doubt I have strong case fans. I think I only have a single case fan and it shouldn't be particularly strong. I suppose you could be correct that it could start spinning after a while when it gets hotter, but I don't feel like trying if that could be the case. I might damage the processor.

Thanks anyways!

it should start spinning immediately its not like a laptop where the fan may not spin up straight away

does the fan spin freely if you spin it round with your fingers when pc is off?

try gently pushing the centre of the fan down that has worked for me before

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
hi there joeses, i have experience these problems before, the problem is not the psu, mobo, or etc...last time out, my friends i5 3450 stock cooler has the same problem as you....we decided to change the stock cooler as it is under warranty in our local pc shop... now, his stock cooler works fine.

but the problem is the stock cooler. You have a bad stock cooler.

try RMA it, or just buy an aftermarket cooler.

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, the fan seems to spin fine if I use my fingers to spin it and I have tried to push it down a bit in the centre but with no success.

It might just simply be broken?

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Alright people, looks like the cooler is broken. I tried to plug in a different fan and that one worked perfectly.

I could RMA it but think I am just going to get a nice new processor cooler. The stock coolers seem to be pretty bad after all.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Appreciate it.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

yo, no problems man, just based on my experience.. so do i get a best answer?

kentteam

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I had this cooling issue with boxed i7 3770 and it was caused by the fan power wires which were too tightly around the fan, making contact with fan blades and disabled it spinning properly. Power down the computer and check that the fan can spin freely.