Case fan has both 4 pin molex and a 3 pin connector, do i connect both

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hey i bought this fan for my case as a side fan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xilence-Red-Wing-80mm-Quiet/dp/B004EYBMAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347106958&sr=8-2

that one except i bought it for £1 not the 5 stated here.

It has a 4 pin molex connector that only has 2 pins inside, and then also has a 3 pin connector. I connected it to my 4pin PSU molex female socket and it fits and spins... but im just wondering do i connect both for a better cooling?

Something a bit off topic but still interesting

I dont have any more 3 pin connectors on my motherboard. But i remember a year ago i found an old 92mm fan that was 3 pin from a very old 1990's PC. When i was going to connect this to my mobo it was so loud and fast. Infact it was much louder than my original stock cooler.

Luckily my friend showed me this guide about how you can take out each individual connector for the 3 pin. The guide showed how you take out the red and black part simply by using a knife and pressing on the latch (no cutting invovled) and then you use a spare female 4pin molex connector and depending on which oreintation you put it in it would make it a different speed. After experimenting a little bit i found the fastest speed with the lowest noise. You leave the white one in the 3 pin and put that in the motherboard.

Can anyone find that guide?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Only connect one.

The molex connector will run at 100% all the time. The 3-pin connector will allow your motherboard to sense/control fan speed. (when you connect it to a fan header on your motherboard.

(You can use fan splitters to)

popatim

Titan
with the fan connected to the molex the motherbd can't control its speed at all. The wire going to the 3 pin motherbd is to sense the fan speed. Normally if all 3 wires went to the motherbd then the motherbd could vary the voltage to control the fan speed. With the fan connected to the PSU the motherbd loses all control.