Sign in with
Your question

Fairly complicated network setup:

Last response: in Networking
September 23, 2005 1:56:42 PM

The only available internet connection is 10 km away, so I plan to carry the signal over 2 high gain antennas then spread it over my schools campus. My setup is this:

ADSL router -> DLink DI-634M Router
DLink DI-634M Router -> DLink ANT24-2100 Antenna
DLink ANT24-2100 Antenna -> DLink ANT24-2100 Antenna 2
DLink ANT24-2100 Antenna 2 -> DLink DI-634M Router 2
DLink DI-634M Router 2 -> DLink DI-634M Router 3
DLink DI-634M Router 3 -> DLink ANT24-1500 Antenna

Questions:

Im getting two 10 km antennas because i dont want to get something like 1 percent signal strength because im at the edge. Am I right in assuming that using two antennas like this will increase the range-signal strength?

I want to get more than 1 dsl connection as DSL is very slow here. Can I get mutiple ADSL connections on the same phone line and hook all of them to the same router? If so, how?

Is the DLink DI-634M the best router for a network of about 20 people who are all high traffic? (No priority traffic though).

Any other suggestions?
October 6, 2005 11:41:47 PM

For a shot like that there are a few things you might want to consider.
You will need line of sight. If you have any obstructions there is little chance you will make that shot. You may also need amplifiers on the antennas. If you do get amps I wouldn't go over a .5watt one. That might even be borderline for cooking things.
For the routers I would use more tried and true technology. That MIMO 108mb accesspoint requires both antennas to operate, you would need 2 dishs. For an adsl connection there is no way you would use a 54mb or even an 11mb connection much less a 108mb. I would stick to 11mb 802.11b wireless equipment for your long shot if at all possible. Just get 2 plain 802.11b accesspoints and put them in bridging mode. That will be a much more reliable and user friendly config.
It is possible to load balance multiple DSL connections but it would reqire either a big budget or some linux knowledge. Either a big piece of network equipment with loadbalancing support or an old computer filled with network cards running linux with lots of crazy scripts. BTW, each dsl connection would reqire its own phone line and modem.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
October 8, 2005 1:42:22 PM

A complete line of sight? Are you sure that if there are 1 or 2 obstructions its not possible?

As for a router, would any 802.11b access point work? Some of them have a picture with two antennas, I wouldn't need a dish for both right? Is one antenna for in and one antenna for out?
October 8, 2005 7:10:56 PM

That would depend on the abstructions. If it is a pole or a small tree it probably wont do much. If it is a huge office building it will probably block the signal.

Two antennas could mean one is Rx and one is Tx or both are used for Rx and Tx. The manual of the product should tell you. I know linksys APs that have 2 antennas use diversity (Rx and Tx on both antennas). If it is a nice AP you will be able to select antenna left,right,diversity.

I have had very good luck with Buffalo wireless equipment for fairly long wireless shots. The wireless repeater kit is 802.11g but it will auto scale the speed to what the signal strength will allow.

You might want to check out this site: <A HREF="http://www.radiolabs.com/" target="_new">Radiolabs.com</A>
They have some pretty rediculous wireless equipment, I have bought many an item from them :) 
You might even try kicking some questions their way either by email or their forum. The guy that runs that place REALLY knows his stuff when it comes to wireless.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!