Question about "auto" setting vs. Iso

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 9, 2005 12:38:49 PM

I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
The default setting for ISO was "auto".
I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO 100.
Am I wrong? Craig
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:53:19 PM

Satoshi <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
> The default setting for ISO was "auto".
> I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
> My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO 100.
> Am I wrong? Craig

'Auto' means 'choose an ISO value every time I take a picture.' It could
be any value, depending on conditions. If you want ISO 100, set the
camera to that, instead.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:43:17 PM

Satoshi wrote:
> I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
> The default setting for ISO was "auto".
> I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
> My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO
> 100. Am I wrong? Craig

Look at the EXIF information in the JPEG files produced by your camera -
it should tell you what ISO was used. I use PIE for this (and renaming
files etc.) but there are free programs which do this as well.

http://www.picmeta.com/

Most likely, the Auto setting will use the minimum ISO when the light
level is good enough, and a higher ISO as conditions darken.

Cheers,
David
Related resources
July 9, 2005 8:14:40 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Look at the EXIF information in the JPEG files produced by your
> camera - it should tell you what ISO was used. I use PIE for
> this (and renaming files etc.) but there are free programs which
> do this as well.

Mostly right clicking on the file and choosing properties (the
second tab) will show it as well - if working under Windows.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:29:23 PM

CeeBee wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>> Look at the EXIF information in the JPEG files produced by your
>> camera - it should tell you what ISO was used. I use PIE for
>> this (and renaming files etc.) but there are free programs which
>> do this as well.
>

> Mostly right clicking on the file and choosing properties (the
> second tab) will show it as well - if working under Windows.

Well, if working with XP at least. Not everyone uses that OS.

David
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:29:24 PM

I am using XP-SP2.
I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.

Craig

message news:TPTze.66256$G8.63928@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> CeeBee wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>>

>>> Look at the EXIF information in the JPEG files produced by your
>>> camera - it should tell you what ISO was used. I use PIE for
>>> this (and renaming files etc.) but there are free programs which
>>> do this as well.
>>

>> Mostly right clicking on the file and choosing properties (the
>> second tab) will show it as well - if working under Windows.
>
> Well, if working with XP at least. Not everyone uses that OS.
>
> David

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:29:25 PM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:50:39 -0600, Satoshi wrote:

> I am using XP-SP2.
> I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.

Many people use IrfanView as their image viewer because it's fast,
small, has a reasonable number of features (including batch file
processing) and it's free. From the menu, select Image ->
Information and then click on the EXIF Info. button. Most cameras
store the ISO values used, although some cameras may name it
differently. Many cameras also have the ability to show the ISO
used as well as other exposure information on the LCD, usually by
pressing a Display button or something similar while viewing the
pictures.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:29:26 PM

I routinely use IrfanView. I saw EXIF box in the IfranView.
When clicked, it prompted "Can't load PlugIN: EXIF.dll. Please download
PlugIns from IrfanView home page".
I will do that.
Thanks for the information.

Craig

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:50:39 -0600, Satoshi wrote:
>
>> I am using XP-SP2.
>> I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.
>
> Many people use IrfanView as their image viewer because it's fast,
> small, has a reasonable number of features (including batch file
> processing) and it's free. From the menu, select Image ->
> Information and then click on the EXIF Info. button. Most cameras
> store the ISO values used, although some cameras may name it
> differently. Many cameras also have the ability to show the ISO
> used as well as other exposure information on the LCD, usually by
> pressing a Display button or something similar while viewing the
> pictures.

July 9, 2005 9:37:44 PM

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D aoohp$2pc$1@reader2.nmix.net...
>I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
> The default setting for ISO was "auto".
> I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
> My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO 100.
> Am I wrong? Craig

It probably uses an ISO setting based on the lighting conditions, if the
light is good you are probably correct at 100ISO, or possibly lower if it
has 50 ISO etc, and in low light it will probably choose a higher ISO eg
400.
July 9, 2005 9:41:32 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-
part.uk.invalid> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Well, if working with XP at least. Not everyone uses that OS.

In that case PIE isn't much help either, as it's Windows only :)

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:33:57 PM

CeeBee wrote:
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-
> part.uk.invalid> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>> Well, if working with XP at least. Not everyone uses that OS.
>

> In that case PIE isn't much help either, as it's Windows only :)

But it works under Windows 2000 and 9X. I'm surprised no-one has yet
mentioned the other free software.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:35:11 PM

Satoshi wrote:
> I am using XP-SP2.
> I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.
>
> Craig

Right-click a JPEG, select Properties.
Click on the Summary tab.
Press Advanced.

David
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:35:12 PM

David,

I got it. I see the list of ISO speed.
Many thanks.

message news:zNUze.66292$G8.19458@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Satoshi wrote:
>> I am using XP-SP2.
>> I tried several jpeg files. No clue on EXIF.
>>
>> Craig
>
> Right-click a JPEG, select Properties.
> Click on the Summary tab.
> Press Advanced.
>
> David

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:48:26 AM

In article <daoohp$2pc$1@reader2.nmix.net>,
"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
> The default setting for ISO was "auto".
> I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
> My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO 100.
> Am I wrong? Craig

Isn't that information in the manual that came with your camera?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:32:00 AM

"Shawn Hirn" <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <daoohp$2pc$1@reader2.nmix.net>,
> "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I use a Sony P & S digital camera, which I am very happy with.
> > The default setting for ISO was "auto".
> > I was wondering about what ISO could be at "Auto" setting.
> > My impression is that "auto" setting is the same or equivalent to ISO
100.
> > Am I wrong? Craig
>
> Isn't that information in the manual that came with your camera?

I find that question rather reasonable.
Todays manuals are stupid! Like if they are writen by & for retards!
They just says :
" If you set ISO to AUTO ,the cam will select ISO for you " :o ))

My Oly E300 has a ISO range 100-1600 , when i tested ISO AUTO
it sticked to ISO 100 "always" :-( (in AUTO MODE)

Later i discoverd that in order to take advantage of the ISO range in
'ISO AUTO' i had use Action Modes like 'SPORT MODE'

AP
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:32:01 AM

In article <42d2d696$1@news.broadpark.no>, A.P.
<nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote:

> Todays manuals are stupid! Like if they are writen by & for retards!
> They just says :
> " If you set ISO to AUTO ,the cam will select ISO for you " :o ))

You don't want to have people actually learn something to take a decent
picture, do you? It's like everything else in the world...dumb it down
for the lowest common denominator.
!