The awesome compromise!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2012 1:05:50 PM

Hi there everybody! My question for anyone and everyone is this:

What is a great "In-between" graphic card for dual card configuration (SLI/Crossfire)?"
I don't want it to be outrageous like the Radeon 6990 or 7970 but I would like to keep them within a $300 price range per card.
• I will be using a motherboard with the AMD FX990 chipset.
• I will have PLENTY of room in the case (Coolermaster HAF X 942)
• If any more info is needed I will be glad to post, just ask.

I hope I have covered everything for all of you elite to give me some educated enlightenment.
I think I have already spec'd the PSU for this but I may check back on that as well once the graphic cards are decided.
I really appreciate everyone's help! You all keep my head from exploding! :pt1cable: 

More about : awesome compromise

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 1:10:24 PM

I think 2 x 560s should do the trick for you.
Related resources
March 18, 2012 1:19:31 PM

What proc. are you using. I had a setup with 2 EVGA 560's with 2 gig buffers and an FX-4100 OC'ed to 4.6 and when I dropped in my 2nd card I only saw about 5 fps increase on Heaven DX11. I figured it was the proc bottlenecking the heck out my $500 in video cards so I changed my whole architecture, to an Intell setup. I went with an I7 2600K, badass proc btw, and then ran the benchmarks again and my frame rates almost doubled. Went from 35ish to 60ish, on the same settings obviously. So just a heads up, unless you have enough proc a second card may just be a waste of cash.
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:27:50 PM

dauntlessds said:
It's gonna be this processor and 16 GB of 2133 ddr3 RAM at 11-11-11-30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ya bud, I honestly think you may be throwing your cash away on a 2nd card at this point.... I would bet 100 bucks that it wont keep up with 2 560's, especially if you go the TI route which is basically a 570. I am far from a tech god, pretty new to this stuff actually, but from my actual experience those zambezis just cant keep up with that much card(s). If you havn't ordered yet I would change your whole setup to an I5 or I7 whichever you prefer. I5 is only another 20 or 30 bucks and it BLOWS that proc out of the water. I mean it is not even close!!!!
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:30:35 PM

Also one other thing you are going way overboard with the ram. Once again that proc will never use it. On my 4100 I had 8 gigs at 1600 and it never went above 40% usage. That was playing TF2, SC2, League of Legends etc... If you stick with that proc you can at least save some cash and go with slower ram, you will never notice a bit of difference!!!
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:33:22 PM

Lokordd said:
Ya bud, I honestly think you may be throwing your cash away on a 2nd card at this point.... I would bet 100 bucks that it wont keep up with 2 560's, especially if you go the TI route which is basically a 570. I am far from a tech god, pretty new to this stuff actually, but from my actual experience those zambezis just cant keep up with that much card(s). If you havn't ordered yet I would change your whole setup to an I5 or I7 whichever you prefer. I5 is only another 20 or 30 bucks and it BLOWS that proc out of the water. I mean it is not even close!!!!

Thanks, no I haven't ordered anything yet so I'll see what the wife thinks of an Intel. She is really trying to stay away from them but you really can't beat those Sandy's!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 1:37:19 PM

Lokordd said:
What proc. are you using. I had a setup with 2 EVGA 560's with 2 gig buffers and an FX-4100 OC'ed to 4.6 and when I dropped in my 2nd card I only saw about 5 fps increase on Heaven DX11. I figured it was the proc bottlenecking the heck out my $500 in video cards so I changed my whole architecture, to an Intell setup. I went with an I7 2600K, badass proc btw, and then ran the benchmarks again and my frame rates almost doubled. Went from 35ish to 60ish, on the same settings obviously. So just a heads up, unless you have enough proc a second card may just be a waste of cash.

What was the clock rate of the 2600K when you ran the benchmark with GTX560 SLI?
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:52:16 PM

FunSurfer said:
What was the clock rate of the 2600K when you ran the benchmark with GTX560 SLI?

I believe when I ran that I had it at the stock 3.5, virtually positive. I OC'ed it to 4.6 afterwards and the fps stayed the same as I recall. I was finally using ALL of my video cards! :) 
m
l
March 18, 2012 5:58:06 PM

Best answer selected by dauntlessds.
m
l
!