A new round of power requirements is rumored...

According to Anandtech's Pre-Computex 2006 article:

DirectX 10 GPUs to Consume up to 300W

ATI and NVIDIA have been briefing power supply manufacturers in Taiwan recently about what to expect for next year’s R600 and G80 GPUs. Both GPUs will be introduced in late 2006 or early 2007, and while we don’t know the specifications of the new cores we do know that they will be extremely power hungry. The new GPUs will range in power consumption from 130W up to 300W per card. ATI and NVIDIA won't confirm or deny our findings and we are receiving conflicting information as to the exact specifications of these new GPUs, but the one thing is for sure is that the power requirements are steep.

Power supply makers are being briefed now in order to make sure that the power supplies they are shipping by the end of this year are up to par with the high end GPU requirements for late 2006/early 2007. You will see both higher wattage PSUs (1000 - 1200W) as well as secondary units specifically for graphics cards. One configuration we’ve seen is a standard PSU mounted in your case for your motherboard, CPU and drives, running alongside a secondary PSU installed in a 5.25” drive bay. The secondary PSU would then be used to power your graphics cards.

This is the opposite to what I thought would occur since both ATI and nVidia are transitioning to 80nm die process. But it actually isn't that surprising since GPU now have more transistors than CPUs. But so far there hasn't been any confirmation or denial from both parties.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
whoo hooo soon there will be 28 or 30 pin MB connections

and 12 pin extra power for GPUs

btw you can already get 1k wat PSUs NOW... silverstone and tagan have already made them for quad gpu setups

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
The day will come when the graphics subsystem with be "outside the box" so to speak, with it's own power supply...........maybe.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
wun911, PC Power & Cooling have a 1KW PSU also.

This is why I recommend far more power than you need or require.

Well I dont know.... 1k wat PSU today seems like over kill to me. And by the time a system requires a 1 k psu, I will prob just build new system ground up.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Alot (not all) of people upgrade over time or replace the system and keep the case & PSU.

Just think if someone builds now or soon, then upgrades to two of these cards in the future, 600 watts just for the graphics system in the future.
This is for people building for top end rigs.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Outrageous.
Remember the times when we were complaining that cpus consume 180-200Ws?
Now 300Ws (oc'd, even more) for a single card...
What we won in more power-efficient cpus, we lost with g-cards...

that is not so bad.

Check out the FSP BoosterX3 that is the one I would prefer to have...

upgrade_X3sn750.jpg

Although I could not find pricing for it. The dual setup should be cheaper than the uber-expensive 850w and 1kw PSUs!

Outrageous.
Remember the times when we were complaining that cpus consume 180-200Ws?
Now 300Ws (oc'd, even more) for a single card...
What we won in more power-efficient cpus, we lost with g-cards...

Yep, I was hoping that power consumption would remain the same or drop a bit. But apparently not. I was hoping that a top of the line nVidia DX 10 card would only consume at most the same amount of power as thier GeForce 7900 GTX, which has been measured at 85w.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
There was a time when power consumption was an afterthought and all out power ruled with CPUs, hopefully the same fate will befall GPUs. GPUs have many more transistors than CPUs and they do have to work harder so give em a break.
I've been running 2 supplies for quite some time now. Since I'm on water and always overclocking and overvolting something I figured it was better to have and not need than to....................crash due to brownout.

syn1kk

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
actually the next round of graphics cards by nVidia are nick named the "voodoo 6" and will look a little bit something like this:
7voodoo5-6000.jpg

WOOT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ! The day of the voodoo graphics card is back!

Although i'm sure the next round will not be exactly like this, but in actuallity it may look a little more like this:
Voodoo_5_34500.gif

Marketing quotes: "... your games will look so smooth you will have a hard time not wanting to rub your a$$ cheeks on the monitor"

"Note: Will not fit in most PC cases without slight case modifications. Card comes with a Honda diesel generator for power. Not FCC approved. Keep away from water, small children, air traffic control towers, munitions dumps, and pacemakers. Extended use may cause cancer. Shipped via truck freight. Estimated retail price $5,743.56 USD"

... let the pwning begin.

ps reader may encounter slight dosages of sarcasm. pps if you didnt realize it was sarcastic.......

According to the article, you can probably just hold off a generation of GPU's.

As depressing as this news is, there is a small light at the end of the tunnel. Our sources tell us that after this next generation of GPUs we won’t see an increase in power consumption, rather a decrease for the following generation. It seems as if in their intense competition with one another, ATI and NVIDIA have let power consumption get out of hand and will begin reeling it back in starting in the second half of next year.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
That Woohoo5 AGP is smokin', all you have to do is hacksaw a slot in the front of your case and put an orange traffic cone if front of the case so you don't knock it outta the slot, or cut your shins on it.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I wonder how much pwoer 3 1900XTX's draw.... the reason I ask is ATI is showing something useing 3 of them !!!

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE0OTU2MjEzNkxLSnh5NWZGZzRfMV8yX2wuanBn'

of course one is for physics but still !

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
wun911, PC Power & Cooling have a 1KW PSU also.

This is why I recommend far more power than you need or require.

PC Power & Cooling....the only "real" PSU's made IMHO.

The 510 puts out up to 38 amps on 12 volt and does so at 50C!
5 year warrenty and then you can contact them to replace all the caps for a low price and give you another 5 years on the warrenty.

As far as really needing larger PSU's ....all the cpu's,ram and gpu's are comming down in volts and pwr needed to run them.

A PC P&C 510 will still have power to spare with the latest/newest computers and addons 5 years from now and no other psu can give you cleaner power.

Z

That's just crazy! 1000-1200watt psu's...even the idea of a dedicated 2nd psu solely for the gpu is too much. To give some context, 1200watts is close the monthly power consumption of a small 1 bedroom apartment.

Perhaps the idea of a gpu socket on the mobo isn't such a bad idea...pair it up with hypertransport 3.0 along with dedicated slots for ddr3 memory...methinks that would be pretty nice.

HotSauce

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
How much do ya'll think one of those booster x3's will cost?? 50 100 I was thinking of buying an OCZ powerstream 520W for the upcoming cards, but then that won't be enough?? I'll have to pay more for a freaken booster!

This suks we're gonna have to pay for a $150 PSU for a $300 grfx card. At conroe's gonna have a better perf/power ratio