Sign in with
Your question

Can I run 2 power supplys

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2012 5:43:00 PM

I want to use my corsair cx 430 to power everything plus the 8 pin connection on the video card and an ulttra modular psu to connect to the 6 pin connection on my video card. will this work? thanks.

More about : run power supplys

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 5:51:43 PM

Hi :) 

In theory yes, in practice its a pain and easier to just buy a bigger psu..

Besides which, WHERE are you going to put the second one ? as its an electrical hazard to children and pets if its external to the case...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 6:16:21 PM

^ That, and the loading and voltage difference issues, since the GPU gets power from the motherboard as well.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 6:30:57 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
^ That, and the loading and voltage difference issues, since the GPU gets power from the motherboard as well.

"^That"
Kind of moronic
3 systems with no case
4 cats
2 dogs
several grandchildren that play on those systems
no electrocutions
Keep the animals off the desk and teach the children about what can hurt them

As for the voltage difference's, they've been making dedicated gpu power supplies for quite awhile
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 6:34:11 PM

delluser1 said:
"^That"

As for the voltage difference's, they've been making dedicated gpu power supplies for quite awhile

I have a personal thing against different voltages. How much of an issue it really is, is debatable, I suppose, but I just don't like it.

Edited because I misunderstood you the first tome I read it... Safety is still an issue, though. Maybe not human or pet safety, but, at least if the extra PSU is outside of the case, it can be knocked off and damage the GPU if the cable is ripped out or tugging on the GPU.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 7:28:45 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I have a personal thing against different voltages. How much of an issue it really is, is debatable, I suppose, but I just don't like it.

Edited because I misunderstood you the first tome I read it... Safety is still an issue, though. Maybe not human or pet safety, but, at least if the extra PSU is outside of the case, it can be knocked off and damage the GPU if the cable is ripped out or tugging on the GPU.

Not a fan of the idea of dual power supplies myself, it's still been being done for years
Yes there can be safety concerns
I give people more credit, if they are asking about it I would expect that they would set it up in such a way as to not have to worry that they may knock it off
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 7:41:56 PM

The safety problem I have with it is children and toddlers.... you try teaching a toddler that can barely talk that putting their fingers into something with mains voltage which can KILL A TODDLER is a bad idea....

An adult would get a shock, a toddler couldnt survive that voltage :(  :( 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2012 7:52:14 PM

Why not buy a 6 pin adapter
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:02:32 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The safety problem I have with it is children and toddlers.... you try teaching a toddler that can barely talk that putting their fingers into something with mains voltage which can KILL A TODDLER is a bad idea....

An adult would get a shock, a toddler couldnt survive that voltage :(  :( 

best to keep psu in a case, they can easily kill.

especially because of the dc current, with ac it will throw you back if you get a shock. dc you will stick

i would rather get a 415v three phase shock (ac) then 100v dc

cause with dc 40 ms trip time would feel like an age (probably more depending on what fuse it is)
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 8:46:18 PM

Don't have a pool in the backyard , a toddler could drown, better lock the lid on loo down as well
Don't have a dog , it could maul the toddler
Don't use the broiler , a toddler could get burned
Better idea, show some frikkin responsibility and monitor the toddler instead of allowing him/her to roam free and come in contact wih any of the things that may be harmful or fatal
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:17:52 PM

delluser1 said:
Don't have a pool in the backyard , a toddler could drown, better lock the lid on loo down as well
Don't have a dog , it could maul the toddler
Don't use the broiler , a toddler could get burned
Better idea, show some frikkin responsibility and monitor the toddler instead of allowing him/her to roam free and come in contact wih any of the things that may be harmful or fatal

exactly

but as we all know from the amount of cars written off every day there are many idiots about with no common sence (not to say every accident is someones fault)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 12:40:03 AM

running 2 power supplies is easy and it works. I cant speak to the safety of it but I did it for about a year and no one died.

Basically you plug the second PSU into only your video card and a case fan or what ever. You can then attach a old case power button to the 24 pin psu connector. So when your ready to power up the pc first you hit the "second psu" as it spins up you hit the power button on your pc.

The gpu gets its own psu and the cpu gets it psu. I personally ran like this for a year or so running my 2 gtx 470s off one psu and the computer off the other.

After about 2 months I got tired of hitting 2 power buttons so I got one of these.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_...

this works because the 2 psu are not combining voltages or sharing the load. One exclusively powers the gpu and one the mother board and cpu.
m
l
!