Sign in with
Your question

Cold Cathodes are causing major problems

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2012 6:41:02 PM

I just got my cold cathode lights today. I installed them and rebooted the PC. However, it only turned on for a millisecond, with the fan lights flashing once before everything seems to turn off. Everything else is working, and I have tested that the cold cathodes are the probem (disconnected the cold cathodes, works like a charm). I've been dying to install these, and I don't see why the power supply with 750W would run out of power, as my computer only uses about 550W or less. 200W for cathodes and still not working?

So basically what I want to know is what's causing the problem and what I need to fix it. It's really pissing me off since I thought cold cathodes barely took any power and took 2 weeks to come in.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 11:47:41 AM

frozen aces said:
I just got my cold cathode lights today. I installed them and rebooted the PC. However, it only turned on for a millisecond, with the fan lights flashing once before everything seems to turn off. Everything else is working, and I have tested that the cold cathodes are the probem (disconnected the cold cathodes, works like a charm). I've been dying to install these, and I don't see why the power supply with 750W would run out of power, as my computer only uses about 550W or less. 200W for cathodes and still not working?

So basically what I want to know is what's causing the problem and what I need to fix it. It's really pissing me off since I thought cold cathodes barely took any power and took 2 weeks to come in.

Check to make sure the wiring isn't crossed, either in the connector or the transformer, if not
RMA the lights and wait for a new set
Your system will use a hell of alot less than 550w
Cold cathodes 3 or 4 watts
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 12:09:37 PM

Edit the profanity out of your original post please, family forum and all that :) 
It may be the inverter thats the issue, I have a couple of UV CC's and I've had to replace the Inverter because they overheat and are quite delicate
but as Dell said, triplecheck the wiring, I know the plugs are formfit so shouldn't go in the wrong way, but best to rule it out
Moto
Related resources
September 9, 2012 10:48:27 PM

i had profanity? 0.O

and sorry guys got it all fixed.

The 2 molex males to 6 pin were causing the system to shut off after a second and I haven't the slightest clue why. But I connected it to a different molex plug and it looks great now!
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 11:56:31 PM

Glad you got sorted man,
By profanity I meant swearing, you can't post cursewords in forum as its a family-friendly environment, I understand the frustration your problem caused but we have a lot of members who aren't adults and we have to consider them too :-)
Moto
!