New gaming rig, good to go? or not?

brownsound_10

Honorable
May 19, 2012
hey, I just ordered a pretty nice gaming rig setup, ( or so I think, I'd like some opinions to see if im missing anything please. ) no liquid cooling, dont like water around my electronics, so airflow is a must. the case has 3 120mm fans, and 2 200mm fans ( including the extra one purchased ) here goes:
I7 2700k ( i know, not gen 3 but oh well, still powerful will OC to 4.4 or so.)

GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo

Corsair 16GB 1600mhz(4x4GB) DDR3 RAM

Seagate 1TB HDD 64mb cache

Sony 24x DVDRW ( dont need blu-ray )

Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower ( 700w PSU included )

Phantek duel heat pipe CPU Cooler 1155 socket

Crucial CT128M4SSD2 m4 2.5" Solid State Drive - 128GB, SATA III 6Gb/s

Coolermaster R4-LUS-07AB-GP MegaFlow Case Fan - 200mm, Blue LED

MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB Overclocked Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express, ATX, DL DVI-D, DL DVI-I, HDMI, Display Port, Overclocked (x2)

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I was saying that for a gaming build, there is no reason to get 16 gigabytes of ram or an I7 processor. 16 gigs of ram just costs an extra $45-50, and an I7 costs annother $100. These savings will make absolutely no performance, so there is no reason not to save. The reason I suggested a 3rd gen processor is because there is no reason not to and it performs a little better. Your build would work, it just wastes some money on parts that are made primarily for complex video editing and other things that you will not be doing.

brownsound_10

Honorable
May 19, 2012
ah, I understand, your right, I just got most of it bundled in a deal, the price was good and couldnt be passed up. The processor included. also, would you know if the PSU is good enough for the SLI 670's? ps. as for the ram, Im greedy :)

a PSU thats included in a case tells us nothing but wattage. we need to know quality of unit and the amperage. coming from thermaltake though, I dont really expect much. I usually tend to avoid any combo with a built in psu in the case.

essentially, if you had to get down to the bottom, the money from an i5>i7 could have been used on a quality PSU and a dedicated cpu cooler. which is one of the advantages of buying certain parts piece by piece.

edit: and of course the excess ram.

brownsound_10

Honorable
May 19, 2012
phanteks is a good well reviewed dedicated cpu cooler, that I do know, I couldnt tell you the wattage of the PSU yet, Ill find that out, this computer is being bought with next to nil coming from my pocket ( lets just say I became very fortunate ) If need be Ill get another PSU though. May get one thursday to be safe.

I actually have a spreadsheet i just made for some people to use to find what some of the quality PSU one can buy at what price point. but im uploading it at the moment