ron_w

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hey guys, I made a post a while back asking for advice to improve my CPU's cooling, my specs can be found their as well: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340566-31-improving-cooling

I have since moved my components to an NZXT Phantom case that was supposed to be better designed for air cooling than my Corsair Obsidian 800D. My Phantom has 1 front 140mm fan, 2 side 120mm, 1 side 200mm, 1 rear 120 mm, and 2 top 200 mm fans with two Cougar Vortex 120mm fans installed on the bottom of the H100's radiator. Since the move, my mobo and graphics cards are a couple of degrees cooler, buy my CPU is about 10 degrees warmer than before at idle, about 50-60 degrees now. I'm assuming that if the other parts are showing better temps, my CPU is warmer because of a bad CPU cooler seating, but even if that's the case, I would image that would only bring CPU temps down to where they were before, not necessarily lower as was the intended goal.

So my question is, at this point, would a different CPU cooler be my best bet to lower temps? Is the H100 perhaps underperforming in my rig and maybe something like a Noctua D14 would bring temps down significantly? Or is there something else at play? Fault temp sensor, bad mobo/CPU?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Sounds like you have speedstep disabled. That is really the only thing that would raise "idle" temps that much.

Ill just throw this in there. I own a 30 dollar cpu cooler (hyper 212+) and my friend owns the h-100, he gets slightly lower idle temps (which in all honesty, dont matter) but i get lower load temps (59c vs his 62c). In my eyes, the H-100 is a total waste of money, even if it does look nice.

ron_w

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Re-enabled Speedstep and resat the H100, this time using the tinting method before applying a thin vertical line of TIM on the processor and made sure to keep pressure on the unit while I tightened it down, to make sure it was as tight as possible on the CPU. Temps are down by 3-5 degrees at idle, but still higher than before my case upgrade, cores fluctuate anywhere between 45-60 degrees at idle, according to Real Temp GT 3.70.

I'm reluctant to buy a new cooler without knowing there is a good chance of seeing a significant temp decrease over my H100. Are there other things I could/should try first? I'm OC'ing the CPU to 4.2GHz at the moment, using the CPU's Turbo mode with the strap increased to allow 4.2GHz. Is there a more efficient way to OC the CPU and this current method is just drawing too much unneeded power? I would like to eventually get up to 4.6-5.0GHz, but with these temps at 4.2 Idle, I don't think I want to push the CPU farther until I can bring my temps down.

ron_w

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
About 20-23 degrees C. Thinking about turning my 2 Cougars on the H100 and 2 top 200mm into intake config to pull fresh air right onto the radiator, would that do much or with the 200mm side fan intake, is this unnecessary?

ron_w

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Resat the H100 again for kicks and replaced the NXZT rear exhaust 120mm fan with a Cougar Vortex 120mm fan, still as exhaust to see if temps improved, which they did, surprisingly, so I decided to bump up the CPU to a 4.6GHz overclock. Still relatively high idle temps, but after a couple of minutes on a Large FFTs Prime95 test temps are in the 70s-80s staying around 10-30 degress below TJMax. Is this a decent result so far or still too hot?