Safe place to keep CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
This may sounds stupid but I was just wondering if it was safe to just leave my CPU wrapped in plastic inside it's box and just leave it in my closet for a few days. thanks

Solution
If it's anti-static, you are fine. Also there are "clam-shell" casings you can get specifically for CPU storage, usually they have non-conductive foam in them as well. What's great about those is that if you drop a CPU in one of those they absorb the energy of the fall. Plus they are excellent long-term storage containers.

LordHaHa

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure it is anti-static. It's black and see through looks like the same material my gtx 670 was wrapped in.

LordHaHa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
If it's anti-static, you are fine. Also there are "clam-shell" casings you can get specifically for CPU storage, usually they have non-conductive foam in them as well. What's great about those is that if you drop a CPU in one of those they absorb the energy of the fall. Plus they are excellent long-term storage containers.

LordHaHa

Solution
anti-static is the way to go, but don't worry too much. I have a stack of old CPUs in a small cardboard box and have yet to have one fail when I needed it. Better safe than sorry, but at the same time they are more durable than you would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.