OK to Mount Upside Down

G

In general hard disks can operate in any orientation. Any exception should be noted in the accompanying documentation. The only issue I can think of is perhaps any attached circuitry should be face down so the heat from the drive operation does not overheat it. If the drive does not get too warm, and there is adequate ventilation, this should not be a problem.

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmms.
i know u can mount them vertically, the main issue being the heads. they are held rigidly in position so they dont touch the drive surface or move when the drive is jolted.

so i think you could... but dont just take my advice.
try the manufacturers page.

P.S. why do u want to run one upside down anyway?

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

HarleyMYK

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
When I go the PC it had the two 5.25 hard drives right together one on top of the other in the cage and they got very hot! The cage has four tabs sticking out the bottom, I guess to mount another cage, but the tabs also line up with the holes for mounting the drive...but only if I put it upside down (the holes in the tabs are too close to the bottom of the cage for me to attach the drive right side up). I went ahead and attached it, and it is now nice and cool (well, actually just not hot), but upside down.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
wierd... but workable it seems.
let me know how the drive fares in a few months.

the morons who put my rig together also put both drives right on top of eachother... the new 60GXP im not worried about, but my old 16.8 im a little concerned cauz it runs hot & the case aint well ventilated.
lucky i got another 3.5" slot just below the floppy
(4 x 5.25" slots, 2 x 3.5 slots, 2 x 3.5 slots with no front access.)

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!