PSU and general advice for Ivy Bridge homebuilt

JohnF30

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $1000-1300

System Usage: Heavy Photoshop usage including 3D objects and 3D rendering. Usage of multiple Adobe and 3D animation programs for web and graphic design. Occasionally will be used for gaming, but it's not the priority.

Overclocking: Perhaps in the future, currently not knowledgeable enough

SLI or Crossfire: Likely in the near future, not my current priority, but I'd like to be SLI proof.

CPU: Ivy Bridge i7 3770k
MOBO: Asrock Z77 extreme4-M (mATX). Supports SLI and Quad SLI
RAM: DDR3 16GB 1600mhz (Probably 2x8GB, in case I ever need 32GB of RAM)
GPU: Using my old 9800GTX+ until I decide on a new one.
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

I'd like advice on what PSU and Midtower to get that will be able to support/fit two GPUs that are similar in size to the GTX580.

If you guys have any more recommendations unrelated to my question, they are also welcome.

If your going to SLI later on then look at the asrock z77 extreme4 and not an mATX.

Today's cards don't use near the power as the gtx 580's so if you end up going with a new generation card then look at a 750w psu to push dual whatever. Dual gtx 580's require a minimum 850w psu but I usually recommend 950w+ for headroom. But again a card like the new gtx 670 would be the way to go imo and a 750w psu will be plenty.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4 <---- this board for dual cards

JohnF30

Honorable
May 20, 2012

This is what I was thinking, too. Will the extreme4 fit in a midtower, though? Or will I need a fulltower? Do you have any cases to recommend?

with mid towers and heat sinks and video cards you have to look at the case depth most mid cases like the antec one gaming case can take up to 160mm in hight heat sink...but 10 inch video cards are it max. some mid towers its less do to the hard drive cage. as your going to be heavy into photoshop and apps. if this going to be a work pc i would look into an ssd as the boot drive with the os and photoshop on.also when you have some exta cash look into putting an extra back up drive in the pc. if not then one in a case with usb 3.0 ports or esata ports.

JohnF30

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Thanks, yea my main drive will most likely be a 6GB/s SATA 60GB OCZ SSD. (SSDs are very expensive here in Greece, still, so 60GB will have to do). You guys think a 750W PSU will be enough?

JohnF30

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Thankfully, I already have an external USB 3.0 1TB drive, will come in handy with the new build. (sorry for double post, total newbie in the forum)

TRENDING THREADS