How do i change the standard folder icon for all file fold..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi. the only way i know of changing the icon of a file folder is by right
clicking and going to -> proporties -> customize. is there any setting i can
edit whereby all of my file folders use a different icon from the default one
windows gives? i tried editing under the Tools->Folder Options -> File types
tab. but that doesnt work. any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about change standard folder icon file fold
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Serenity Windows 98 Tips & Hacks: From David Candy
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/icon.html

    Under "Shell Icons" section there is a zip file:
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/images/openfolder.zip

    Unzip the follow the instructions. If you have a custom .ico file, replace that in place of the supplied openfolder.ico file

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org


    "definitelydan" <definitelydan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:724EEF4E-2764-44D5-9758-397B890F941A@microsoft.com...
    Hi. the only way i know of changing the icon of a file folder is by right
    clicking and going to -> proporties -> customize. is there any setting i can
    edit whereby all of my file folders use a different icon from the default one
    windows gives? i tried editing under the Tools->Folder Options -> File types
    tab. but that doesnt work. any ideas?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
    > Serenity Windows 98 Tips & Hacks: From David Candy
    > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/icon.html
    >
    > Under "Shell Icons" section there is a zip file:
    > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/images/openfolder.zip
    >
    > Unzip the follow the instructions. If you have a custom .ico file,
    > replace that in place of the supplied openfolder.ico file

    That reg change worked a charm in 98SE, but I've had limited success in XP
    Home, SP2.

    The changed open folder icon shows in the 'browse' tree from 'Send to any
    folder', etc, but not in Explorer's tree. There must be a non-shell32.dll
    icon used by current Explorer, or it doesn't check for any change. The
    TweakuiXP shortcut arrow change in the same registry location works OK.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    | Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
    | > Serenity Windows 98 Tips & Hacks: From David Candy
    | > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/icon.html
    | >
    | > Under "Shell Icons" section there is a zip file:
    | > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/images/openfolder.zip
    | >
    | > Unzip the follow the instructions. If you have a custom .ico file,
    | > replace that in place of the supplied openfolder.ico file
    |
    | That reg change worked a charm in 98SE, but I've had limited success in XP
    | Home, SP2.
    |
    | The changed open folder icon shows in the 'browse' tree from 'Send to any
    | folder', etc, but not in Explorer's tree. There must be a non-shell32.dll
    | icon used by current Explorer, or it doesn't check for any change. The
    | TweakuiXP shortcut arrow change in the same registry location works OK.


    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons
    "3"=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>
    "4"=<path\to\open-folder.ICO>

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\DefaultIcon]
    @=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\DefaultIcon]
    @=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>


    Then, to update the icon cache:

    Control Panel
    Display
    Appearance
    Advanced
    Item: Icon
    Size: <-decrease-by-1->
    OK
    OK

    Control Panel
    Display
    Appearance
    Advanced
    Item: Icon
    Size: <-original-value->
    OK
    OK
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks Im going to try that one latter today.


    --
    Tim
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tim's Profile: http://www.extremechatforums.com/forums/member.php?userid=1
    View this thread: http://www.extremechatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13128
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    a nonymous wrote:
    > "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
    >>> Serenity Windows 98 Tips & Hacks: From David Candy
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/icon.html
    >>>
    >>> Under "Shell Icons" section there is a zip file:
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/images/openfolder.zip
    >>>
    >>> Unzip the follow the instructions. If you have a custom .ico file,
    >>> replace that in place of the supplied openfolder.ico file
    >>
    >> That reg change worked a charm in 98SE, but I've had limited success
    >> in XP Home, SP2.
    >>
    >> The changed open folder icon shows in the 'browse' tree from 'Send
    >> to any folder', etc, but not in Explorer's tree. There must be a
    >> non-shell32.dll icon used by current Explorer, or it doesn't check
    >> for any change. The TweakuiXP shortcut arrow change in the same
    >> registry location works OK.
    >
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    > Icons "3"=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>
    > "4"=<path\to\open-folder.ICO>
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\DefaultIcon]
    > @=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\DefaultIcon]
    > @=<path\to\closed-folder.ICO>
    >
    The latter 2 changes will (I guess) allow me to change the closed folder
    icons but it's the open one I'd like to change. :(

    A search for 'shell32.dll,4' found a couple of likely looking locations, but
    they don't seem to have picked up the path change, leastways not in
    Explorer.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:

    | The latter 2 changes will (I guess) allow me to change the closed folder
    | icons but it's the open one I'd like to change. :(
    |
    | A search for 'shell32.dll,4' found a couple of likely looking locations, but
    | they don't seem to have picked up the path change, leastways not in
    | Explorer.

    I gave you explicit instructions on how to to update the icon cache.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    a nonymous wrote:
    > "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> The latter 2 changes will (I guess) allow me to change the closed
    >> folder icons but it's the open one I'd like to change. :(
    >>
    >> A search for 'shell32.dll,4' found a couple of likely looking
    >> locations, but they don't seem to have picked up the path change,
    >> leastways not in Explorer.
    >
    > I gave you explicit instructions on how to to update the icon cache.

    Which don't work to change the open folder icon in Explorer. The fact that
    it *is* changed in 'Send to any folder' tree suggests I've rebuilt the icon
    cache, no?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    | > "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    |
    | The latter 2 changes will (I guess) allow me to change the closed
    | folder icons but it's the open one I'd like to change. :(
    |
    | A search for 'shell32.dll,4' found a couple of likely looking
    | locations, but they don't seem to have picked up the path change,
    | leastways not in Explorer.

    a nonymous wrote:
    | I gave you explicit instructions on how to to update the icon cache.

    "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    | Which don't work to change the open folder icon in Explorer. The fact that
    | it *is* changed in 'Send to any folder' tree suggests I've rebuilt the icon
    | cache, no?


    Have you done:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons
    "4"=<path\to\open-folder.ICO>

    and then update the icon cache?

    I ask this because I do not know exactly what you actually did or did not do.

    I use XP SP1. The details that I gave worked for me.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    a nonymous wrote:
    >>> "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >> The latter 2 changes will (I guess) allow me to change the closed
    >> folder icons but it's the open one I'd like to change. :(
    >>
    >> A search for 'shell32.dll,4' found a couple of likely looking
    >> locations, but they don't seem to have picked up the path change,
    >> leastways not in Explorer.
    >
    > a nonymous wrote:
    >> I gave you explicit instructions on how to to update the icon cache.
    >
    > "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Which don't work to change the open folder icon in Explorer. The
    >> fact that it *is* changed in 'Send to any folder' tree suggests I've
    >> rebuilt the icon cache, no?
    >
    >
    > Have you done:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    > Icons "4"=<path\to\open-folder.ICO>
    >
    > and then update the icon cache?
    >
    > I ask this because I do not know exactly what you actually did or did
    > not do.
    >
    > I use XP SP1. The details that I gave worked for me.


    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Icons]
    "4"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\shell32.dll,110"
    "3"=""
    "29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\tweakui.exe,3"

    Above is the exported reg file - only single backslashes in Regedit and no
    quotes. The shortcut arrow diversion added by TweakuiXP works OK.

    I tried the different shell32.dll icon (110) to ensure the correct icon
    format - it's a folder with a tick so appropriate - but using the download
    green folder icon file makes no difference to the results.

    After refreshing icon cache and a reboot for good luck, the changed icon
    shows if I open 'Send to any folder' from the desktop and browse the tree
    view, as http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/tick_ok.jpg

    However, running normal 2-pane Explorer it's not there in tree view when I
    open a folder, and running 'Send to any folder' *in the Explorer pane*, it's
    now no longer shown on the browse tree view after opening a target as shown
    http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/no_tick.jpg

    Weird. Any SP2 converts got this working?

    My shell32.dll is 8,188k, dated 4 Aug '04.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "cpemma" wrote:

    | [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    | Icons]
    | "4"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\shell32.dll,110"
    | "3"=""
    | "29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\tweakui.exe,3"
    |
    | Above is the exported reg file - only single backslashes in Regedit and no
    | quotes. The shortcut arrow diversion added by TweakuiXP works OK.
    |
    | I tried the different shell32.dll icon (110) to ensure the correct icon
    | format - it's a folder with a tick so appropriate - but using the download
    | green folder icon file makes no difference to the results.
    |
    | After refreshing icon cache and a reboot for good luck, the changed icon
    | shows if I open 'Send to any folder' from the desktop and browse the tree
    | view, as http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/tick_ok.jpg
    |
    | However, running normal 2-pane Explorer it's not there in tree view when I
    | open a folder, and running 'Send to any folder' *in the Explorer pane*, it's
    | now no longer shown on the browse tree view after opening a target as shown
    | http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/no_tick.jpg
    |
    | Weird. Any SP2 converts got this working?
    |
    | My shell32.dll is 8,188k, dated 4 Aug '04.


    Is there a reason for the empty string for the "3"= value in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

    If you want the default closed-folder.ICO, delete the "3"= value.

    SP2 is even more strange than SP1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Microsoft Customization Windows XP