more on: Kodak EasyShare software -- captions

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 9, 2005 6:08:24 PM

Hello there,

To follow up on a discussion about searching and "importing" captions
in Kodak Easyshare software (i am using the newer, v5 -- I think mainly
it was the same in v4 -- windows ).
Here is the thread: http://tinyurl.com/d9679 (I hope that link
works)...
That got me thinking and posed many of the same questions I have been
wondering about, and more.

I was trying to help out my dad, who is soft of an intermediate level
computer user. He somehow inadvertently deleted his entire
collection(!) of several hundred pictures. They were in his recycle bin
so I had him restore and then added back into his collection. So no
originals were lost, but hours spent captioning them (apparently) was.

1) How do you delete the entire collection (or any sort of group
delete)? I tried and couldn't -- i couldn only get it to delete 1 at a
time: I selected entire collection, then selected all picutures. They
all turned yellow frames, and software said "Selected pictures: 68".
Then right click and select delete. Software asks "are you sure you
want to send the picture to the recycle bin" -- i say yes. Only the one
picture with a thin blue border gets deleted.

2) Though the crisis was averted because the picutures were in his
recycle bin. All captions were lost. This is bad news -- not storing
the caption with the picture as meta-data IS A HUGE MISTAKE, imho.
But that being as it may: How do I backup my data INCLUDING captions,
and any other easyshare-specific data, like album associations?
The option to burn CD doesn't look like it does this in a usable way.

3) there seems to be no practical way to interchange albums between 2
users. You can upload and even upload with update an album -- but there
seems to be no download album capability (or is there?).

He likes his DX7440 very much, by the way.

Regards,
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:36:10 PM

Hi Ed,

I am sending along my comments under the questions you posed below. Hope
they help. If you do have any others, let me know, I am glad to share with
you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"ed b" <ebeighe@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> To follow up on a discussion about searching and "importing" captions
> in Kodak Easyshare software (i am using the newer, v5 -- I think mainly
> it was the same in v4 -- windows ).
> Here is the thread: http://tinyurl.com/d9679 (I hope that link
> works)...
> That got me thinking and posed many of the same questions I have been
> wondering about, and more.
>
> I was trying to help out my dad, who is soft of an intermediate level
> computer user. He somehow inadvertently deleted his entire
> collection(!) of several hundred pictures. They were in his recycle bin
> so I had him restore and then added back into his collection. So no
> originals were lost, but hours spent captioning them (apparently) was.
>
> 1) How do you delete the entire collection (or any sort of group
> delete)? I tried and couldn't -- i couldn only get it to delete 1 at a
> time: I selected entire collection, then selected all picutures. They
> all turned yellow frames, and software said "Selected pictures: 68".
> Then right click and select delete. Software asks "are you sure you
> want to send the picture to the recycle bin" -- i say yes. Only the one
> picture with a thin blue border gets deleted.

You can remove more than one image at a time. As long as you have
highlighted an image and it is surrounded in yellow, it can be removed along
with any other selected images from a collection or album. Deleting is
different. This will remove from the system. the collection will remove all
the 'imnges' to existing pictures. If you right click on an image then it
will act on only one picture.

> 2) Though the crisis was averted because the picutures were in his
> recycle bin. All captions were lost. This is bad news -- not storing
> the caption with the picture as meta-data IS A HUGE MISTAKE, imho.
> But that being as it may: How do I backup my data INCLUDING captions,
> and any other easyshare-specific data, like album associations?
> The option to burn CD doesn't look like it does this in a usable way.

You are right, it will not save captions or album relationships. We are
listening and are working on this feature. It does exist on a Mac at this
point. Should be available in a future release.

> 3) there seems to be no practical way to interchange albums between 2
> users. You can upload and even upload with update an album -- but there
> seems to be no download album capability (or is there?).

If you want only the images in a particular album, an easy way to do this
would be to open the album and select all the images. Next Burn a CD of
these images. No captions or other information is included, only the image
files. Once the CD is complete, take the CD to the next computer that has
EasyShare on it and insert that CD. Use the Add Pictures option and select
the CD. The pictures will then be added to an album and you can add a name
at the time of creation. Unless there are a great many of them, you can add
a name quite easily later on.

Remeber, EasyShare is a cataloging program so it is adding the information
to a file that is stored in EasyShare and not in the metadata of the image
file. We leave the image file alone as many do not want to change it.

!