Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

W1zzard or anyone... tried unlocking the 6950...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 18, 2012 8:54:03 PM

hello. tried using w1zzards batch file for more inexperienced users, to unlock my msi 6950 and it flashed the card, rebooted and now wont boot up... lol ummm any help? i had this problem before when i was trying to overclock my cpu, it wouldnt boot. i read about it could have not booted with my cpu overclocked because of voltage issues... but now im not sure what to do. i am at a loss for words... should i just take the card out, and put it back in and reinstall drivers? do i have to flash back to my old bios? i did save the copy of my old bios somewhere safe, but my computer wont boot now...

help please

More about : w1zzard unlocking 6950

March 19, 2012 12:33:35 AM

If your card doesn't have a dual bios switch, you are going to need a second GPU to boot. This can be the cpu graphics or a second video card installed in the first slot.

Once you have this you can install both cards and boot. Then you can flash your original bios back onto your 6950.
March 19, 2012 1:47:25 AM

vollman1 said:
If your card doesn't have a dual bios switch, you are going to need a second GPU to boot. This can be the cpu graphics or a second video card installed in the first slot.

Once you have this you can install both cards and boot. Then you can flash your original bios back onto your 6950.


im not sure what you mean.... my mobo has an onboard video card... i have uninstalled all my drivers and removed the video card completely from the computer. i can boot up with the onboard video card and get to my desktop and stuff... but what then? it doesnt have the dual switch... its the msi 6960 twin frozr ii 2gb card. i see where there is a 1 and 2 on the chip, but no actual switch is there. i have to remove my video card completely to boot my computer up. i have my old bios saved to a flash drive. how do i uninstall the switch i made with the batch file? or put the old drivers back on? sorry, im not super experienced in all this.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 2:03:40 AM

If you arent super experienced at this, why would you even attempt something like this? SMH.
March 19, 2012 2:09:55 AM

vrumor said:
If you arent super experienced at this, why would you even attempt something like this? SMH.


becaused it seemed easy enough on the page. all i had to do was download ati winflash... flash the bios thru there and reboot... make sure to save my old bios... if my pc could boot up with the video card in there, then i could probably get back to my old bios, but i am having problems there. just looking for help.
March 19, 2012 2:14:13 AM

vollman1 said:
If your card doesn't have a dual bios switch, you are going to need a second GPU to boot. This can be the cpu graphics or a second video card installed in the first slot.

Once you have this you can install both cards and boot. Then you can flash your original bios back onto your 6950.


also, if it comes down to it, and i cant figure it out with any help.... would completely reformatting my pc get it to where i could just reinstall the video card? i want to avoid that if at all necessary
March 19, 2012 2:22:30 AM

Generally to flash the 6950, you need a reference board. A reference board is a graphics card that came straight from the AMD factory, and it was not made by any other company, like XFX. Mostly, like mine, manufacturers just stuck stickers on the card and sold them like that. This is what the BIOS switch looks like:



Basically, cards with the BIOS switch have 2 BIOS on them. One of the BIOS is locked as a 6950 BIOS forever. The other BIOS is unlocked, so you can flash it. If you mess up in flashing, the idea was that you switch to the stable locked BIOS and everything was ok. Not all card came with the BIOS switch though as you can see. Generally, reference cards have the 3 stripes on the side like the one in the picture.

I've done it with my reference and it was rather easy. I don't know about any other methods, but there are definitely other methods out there that work.
March 19, 2012 2:25:38 AM

kyle1015 said:
also, if it comes down to it, and i cant figure it out with any help.... would completely reformatting my pc get it to where i could just reinstall the video card? i want to avoid that if at all necessary


Reformatting your hard drive has nothing to do with the BIOS on your graphics card. The BIOS is the internal coding needed for the equipment to operate properly, to identify itself, and to give its parts instructions on what to do (such as clock speed, voltage, etc). To fix this, you will have to flash back to your original BIOS on the GPU. The rest of your computer is fine.
March 19, 2012 2:36:33 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Reformatting your hard drive has nothing to do with the BIOS on your graphics card. The BIOS is the internal coding needed for the equipment to operate properly, to identify itself, and to give its parts instructions on what to do (such as clock speed, voltage, etc). To fix this, you will have to flash back to your original BIOS on the GPU. The rest of your computer is fine.


do you know how i would do that? i cant even get my pc to boot with this card installed now...? like i said before in the above posts, i have the old bios saved, but now im stuck.
March 19, 2012 2:42:09 AM

list your mobo and video card specs please or link them from Newegg (or another site).
March 19, 2012 2:46:11 AM

kyle1015 said:
do you know how i would do that? i cant even get my pc to boot with this card installed now...? like i said before in the above posts, i have the old bios saved, but now im stuck.


You will probably need another PCI-E card (doesn't have to match in any way other than it being PCI-E) since it sounds like your mobo auto disables the onboard graphics when the card is plugged in. Find an old video card or borrow one from a friend.
March 19, 2012 2:53:49 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
You will probably need another PCI-E card (doesn't have to match in any way other than it being PCI-E) since it sounds like your mobo auto disables the onboard graphics when the card is plugged in. Find an old video card or borrow one from a friend.


im sorry if i sound stupid asking these questions... this mobo doesnt support dual cards i dont think...
so if i get another card, what then? i mean really, all i have to do is borrow it from my buddy... but then what? lol sorry..
March 19, 2012 2:56:39 AM

List your mobo and gpu model numbers and/or link them so that we (I) can tell you where to start.

Otherwise, good luck and I am out.
March 19, 2012 2:56:55 AM

vollman1 said:
list your mobo and video card specs please or link them from Newegg (or another site).



mobo - asus m5a88-m
amd fx 4100
16 gb 1600 mhz ddr3
msi r6950 twin frozr ii 2gb
March 19, 2012 3:06:45 AM

TY

First, I am unfamiliar with this mobo so you may have to do some digging in the manual.

There are 2 options:

1) try to find out if you can set the board to boot using the onboard graphics as a default with the 6950 installed.

Or,

2) as mentioned, get a second gpu and install both and boot.

Which would you like to do/ which is easiest for you?
March 19, 2012 3:20:12 AM

vollman1 said:
TY

First, I am unfamiliar with this mobo so you may have to do some digging in the manual.

There are 2 options:

1) try to find out if you can set the board to boot using the onboard graphics as a default with the 6950 installed.

Or,

2) as mentioned, get a second gpu and install both and boot.

Which would you like to do/ which is easiest for you?


well... getting a second vid card would be easiest for me.. since i dont have the manual to my mobo anymore. what would i have to do, once i get another pci e vid card? btw, thanks for your patience and your help. im sure talking to someone inexperienced like me, is almost as hard as talking to a wall.. sorry :( 
March 19, 2012 3:39:05 AM

If your mobo disabled the onboard, have you tried resetting the mobo BIOS using the jumper (edit)and manually setting onboard as primary GPU? also... I also flashed my 6950 TFII (shader unlock only) just to see if it can, and it did but when I tried flashing it to stock.... it won't, so I can't re-flash, for some reason it was locked to that bios so... you might have a problem when you get the on-board GPU to work.
March 19, 2012 3:49:39 AM

ZEPd3Z said:
If your mobo disabled the onboard, have you tried resetting the mobo BIOS using the jumper? also... I also flashed my 6950 TFII (shader unlock only) just to see if it can, and it did but when I tried flashing it to stock.... it won't, so I can't re-flash, for some reason it was locked to that bios so... you might have a problem when you get the on-board GPU to work.


that doesnt sound very hopeful... i dont know how to reset the motherboard with the jumper. i never would have done this if i hadnt read everywhere that it was super easy, and if anything goes wrong u can just flash it right back. i was fine using the stock settings and oc'ing in afterburner. i just wanted to do it, cus it could be done and regretting it. if thats true that i cant go back, then its sounding like someone said before, and i have a 300 dollar paperweight. i dont see why i couldnt go back to the stock 6950 bios.
March 19, 2012 4:10:59 AM

Unfortunately, after looking up your motherboard, your motherboard does not have a 2nd PCIe x16 slot. If you cannot boot up to the IGP and have access to your PCIe slot, there is nothing you can do with that motherboard without borrowing someone else computer (I wouldn't feel comfortable with an inexperienced person doing this on someone elses computer). You could try with the IGP as the primary graphics card, and use the TF3 instructions: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_fro...

Unlike the message response I gave you, you will follow the instructions to the letter, but you may still not have access to the PCIe slot when the IGP is on, but you can try.
March 19, 2012 4:14:18 AM

bystander said:
Unfortunately, after looking up your motherboard, your motherboard does not have a 2nd PCIe x16 slot. If you cannot boot up to the IGP and have access to your PCIe slot, there is nothing you can do with that motherboard without boring someone else computer. You could try with the IGP as the primary graphics card, and use the TF3 instructions: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_fro...

Unlike the message response I gave you, you will follow the instructions to the letter, but you may still not have access to the PCIe slot when the IGP is on, but you can try.



I was hoping that you would show up :) 
March 19, 2012 4:18:20 AM

:)  I got a personal message from him. Unfortunately, if his IGP disables the PCIe slot, he's in bad shape, although I'm not sure it will disable it.
March 19, 2012 4:21:38 AM

kyle1015 said:
thanks a lot man. sounds like it can be solved. i will try doing that... i really appreciate your help.


That guide, which was one I put together, is not going to work for you in your current state, although my 2nd post in that thread might work, which is what I linked a couple posts up in this thread.
March 19, 2012 4:23:40 AM

bystander said:
:)  I got a personal message from him. Unfortunately, if his IGP disables the PCIe slot, he's in bad shape, although I'm not sure it will disable it.


one more question... if i go thru all this and still have no luck... i do have a dispensable amount of cash on hand... ;) 

would i need to buy a new vid card, or a new mobo... just to make it all easy? is the bios i flashed saved to the vid card, or on the mobo? dont know if im asking the right question the right way, but i hope you understand what i mean...
March 19, 2012 5:24:24 AM

The bios flash was taken place on the video card. As far as the motherboard vs vid card goes, I don't know. It may be a little cheaper to get a motherboard that can support crossfire (letting you crossfire down the road), but you may still have difficulties unbricking your video card.
March 20, 2012 9:13:37 PM

bystander said:
The bios flash was taken place on the video card. As far as the motherboard vs vid card goes, I don't know. It may be a little cheaper to get a motherboard that can support crossfire (letting you crossfire down the road), but you may still have difficulties unbricking your video card.


ya i did have some difficulties, but i ended up getting it. (not me specifically)

had a friend who is a little more experienced mess with it. thanks a bunch for your guys help
March 20, 2012 9:48:54 PM

Great news, I was afraid this was going to be a bad ending. Did that mean you purchased a new motherboard, or did your friend unbrick it on his system?
!