Madden NFL 2006 XBOX or PS2?

Last response: in Video Games
August 9, 2005 11:09:47 PM

I recall that Madden 2005 had some extra bells and whistles on the PS2
platform, but what about 2006?
Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
supports Hi Def 480i format?

TIA
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:30:03 AM

The X-Box version looks quite a bit cleaner on my HDTV. If you're not real
commited to the PS2 controller, the X-Box version is superior for it's
visual clarity and Dolby Digital sound.

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
news:D PWdnXZJcKdQ2GTfRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>I recall that Madden 2005 had some extra bells and whistles on the PS2
>platform, but what about 2006?
> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
> supports Hi Def 480i format?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:17:41 AM

> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
> supports Hi Def 480i format?

I think you meant to say 480p.

--
HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Yes I did... Sorry about that 480p Hi-Def...

"Ollie T" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message

>> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
>> supports Hi Def 480i format?
>>

> I think you meant to say 480p.
>
> --
> HDTV games lists and discussions
> http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:14:24 PM

Jay J wrote:
> I recall that Madden 2005 had some extra bells and whistles on the PS2
> platform, but what about 2006?
> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
> supports Hi Def 480i format?
>
> TIA

They dont look any different.
PS2 may have hard drive support and should have free online play.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:16:45 AM

the controller is killing me in the xbox version. I can't for the life of
me figure out why the pump fake and throw away buttons are mapped to the
triggers and the 2 eligible reciever buttons are mapped to the white and
black buttons. I don't think I've ever thrown the ball away in a game (I
always get intentional grounding) but yet that's a trigger button?

And if I change to a different configuration then I lose some of the new
control functions.

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
news:D PWdnXZJcKdQ2GTfRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>I recall that Madden 2005 had some extra bells and whistles on the PS2
>platform, but what about 2006?
> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
> supports Hi Def 480i format?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:16:43 AM

"bbodin" <nospam!bbodin@airmail.net> wrote in message
> the controller is killing me in the xbox version. I can't for the life of
> me figure out why the pump fake and throw away buttons are mapped to the
> triggers and the 2 eligible reciever buttons are mapped to the white and
> black buttons. I don't think I've ever thrown the ball away in a game (I
> always get intentional grounding) but yet that's a trigger button?
>
> And if I change to a different configuration then I lose some of the new
> control functions.

So, you can't customize the controller to suit your taste in the XBOX
version?

If that's the case, let me ask you this.... If you had a PS2 AND an XBOX,
would you buy it for the PS2 instead?
I was leaning more towards the XBOX, with the assumption that I'll be able
to play it on the XBOX 360 when it comes out in November, and for the 480p
Hi-Def functionality but if the controller makes the game THAT frustrating,
perhaps it's not worth getting on the XBOX platform?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:16:44 AM

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
news:D KSdnT3rAqsw3GbfRVn-vQ@comcast.com...

> "bbodin" <nospam!bbodin@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> the controller is killing me in the xbox version. I can't for the life
>> of me figure out why the pump fake and throw away buttons are mapped to
>> the triggers and the 2 eligible reciever buttons are mapped to the white
>> and black buttons. I don't think I've ever thrown the ball away in a
>> game (I always get intentional grounding) but yet that's a trigger
>> button?
>>
>> And if I change to a different configuration then I lose some of the new
>> control functions.
>
> So, you can't customize the controller to suit your taste in the XBOX
> version?
>
> If that's the case, let me ask you this.... If you had a PS2 AND an XBOX,
> would you buy it for the PS2 instead?
> I was leaning more towards the XBOX, with the assumption that I'll be able
> to play it on the XBOX 360 when it comes out in November, and for the 480p
> Hi-Def functionality but if the controller makes the game THAT
> frustrating, perhaps it's not worth getting on the XBOX platform?

I have both and unless you have an adapter that lets you use your PS2
controller on the Xbox, it will take quite a bit of getting used to.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:12:30 AM

> Yes I did... Sorry about that 480p Hi-Def...
>

> "Ollie T" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is one superior than the other, besides the fact that the Xbox version
>>> supports Hi Def 480i format?
>>>

>> I think you meant to say 480p.
>>
>> --
>> HDTV games lists and discussions
>> http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Actually if you want to get technical, 480p isn't HDTV, it's EDTV (extended
definition tv!)

:)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:45:02 AM

bbodin wrote:
> the controller is killing me in the xbox version. I can't for the life of
> me figure out why the pump fake

I think MSJOJOFagboy knows how to pump fake.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:57:32 AM

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
news:D KSdnT3rAqsw3GbfRVn-vQ@comcast.com...

> So, you can't customize the controller to suit your taste in the XBOX
> version?

not that I can figure out. They have different controller options, but they
aren't customizable (and the other controller options fix that 1 issue then
create others like not being able to control juke left/juke right ).

> If that's the case, let me ask you this.... If you had a PS2 AND an XBOX,
> would you buy it for the PS2 instead?

hard to say. I'm not sure if the graphics make up for the bad controller
design.

I'm trying to get used to it, but it's so different from NCAA version that
it's almost impossible to switch back and forth between those 2. (in NCAA
the reciever buttons ARE mapped to the triggers).

Again, it just makes no sense to me WHY they would have done that. I think
last years version had it the other way around, so it seems they would have
had to make a concious decision to do it...just not sure what that is?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:57:33 AM

> "Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
> news:D KSdnT3rAqsw3GbfRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
>
>> So, you can't customize the controller to suit your taste in the XBOX
>> version?
>
> not that I can figure out. They have different controller options, but
> they aren't customizable (and the other controller options fix that 1
> issue then create others like not being able to control juke left/juke
> right ).

The thing that kills me is how sweet the juke stick is implemented in NCAA
and that feature isn't in Madden.

>> If that's the case, let me ask you this.... If you had a PS2 AND an XBOX,
>> would you buy it for the PS2 instead?
>
> hard to say. I'm not sure if the graphics make up for the bad controller
> design.
>
> I'm trying to get used to it, but it's so different from NCAA version that
> it's almost impossible to switch back and forth between those 2. (in NCAA
> the reciever buttons ARE mapped to the triggers).

NCAA is perfect. I guarantee is most gaming magazines got ahold of NCAA
after Madden, the score would have gone up by .5 easily if not more.

> Again, it just makes no sense to me WHY they would have done that. I
> think last years version had it the other way around, so it seems they
> would have had to make a concious decision to do it...just not sure what
> that is?

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:16:52 AM

GLeger wrote:
> "Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
>
>>Yes I did... Sorry about that 480p Hi-Def...
>>

>>"Ollie T" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message

>>>I think you meant to say 480p.
>>>
>>>--
>>>HDTV games lists and discussions
>>>http://www.hdtvarcade.com
>>>

> Actually if you want to get technical, 480p isn't HDTV, it's EDTV (extended
> definition tv!)
>
> :)

That's not exactly true in the world of video games.
For Xbox games it is, but for PS2 games that run at 60FPS it is HDTV.

30FPS 640x480 = 9,216,000 pixels per second.
60FPS 640x480 = 18,432,000 pixels per second.

Just another way the PS2 is superior to Xbox.
!