• Prebuilt
  • Hard Drives
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2012 8:47:09 AM

Hey boys and girls,

I'm going to buy some new components and would like to hear your opinion about it.

Current build

cpu: q6600
mobo: p5k
gpu: HD6870
ram: 2 x 2gb ddr2 800mhz Kingston
harddrive: 500gb & 250gb sata

New build

cpu: I5 2500K
mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3
gpu: Asus HD6870 Direct CU
ram: Kingston HyperX blu PC3-12800 - 2 x 2 GB DDR3 1600
harddrive: 500gb & 250gb sata

More about : build opinions

May 20, 2012 10:22:29 AM

Get 8GB of memory. You're saving, what, $20 by getting 4?
May 20, 2012 10:27:55 AM

Personally I'd:
* Get 8 gb's DDR3 like willard mentioned.
* I'd go with an IB CPU, if you can afford it.
* Go with Z77 based mobo whether or not if you buy SB or IB (USB 3.0 support PCI-e 3.0 support)
Related resources
May 20, 2012 11:17:01 AM

lunyone said:
Personally I'd:
* Get 8 gb's DDR3 like willard mentioned.
* I'd go with an IB CPU, if you can afford it.
* Go with Z77 based mobo whether or not if you buy SB or IB (USB 3.0 support PCI-e 3.0 support)

My budget for this upgrade is $400. (Around 300 euros)

I heard I5 2500k is a great overclocker, to be future proof.
Looking trough IB cpu's but have no idea what to pick.
Price range is around $260

Z77 models do look nice. Do you prefer them because of personel experience?
I'm looking for a mobo around a $130 price range. I dont need features like Crossfire and all.

May 20, 2012 11:25:26 AM

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is very nice at $135, and is obviously using the Z77 chipset. You'll get more USB 3.0 ports, PCIe 3.0 support (only with an Ivy Bridge CPU), more SATA 3 ports and UEFI BIOS. That's nothing to sneeze at.
May 20, 2012 11:47:41 AM

willard said:
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is very nice at $135, and is obviously using the Z77 chipset. You'll get more USB 3.0 ports, PCIe 3.0 support (only with an Ivy Bridge CPU), more SATA 3 ports and UEFI BIOS. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I cannot find that cpu for $135. Lowest I can find is $160. But it has features i'm not planning to use like
ATi Crossfire and Nvidia SLi
alot of usb 2.0 and 3.0

What do you think about this model: Asrock Z77 Pro3
May 20, 2012 5:27:53 PM

Here's the Extreme4 for $139.99. Almost $150 after shipping, which is probably still too high, though.

The Pro3 is a good board. The difference in it and the Extreme4 is largely in the number of PCIe slots and USB 3.0 ports, which you apparently don't care about. If you're sure you're not going to want them in the future, I'd say go ahead and save the $40 over the Extreme4 and grab it.

If you think you might need those ports/slots in the future, I'd say go ahead and get the Extreme4 just to be safe. It's a hell of a lot more expensive to buy a second board when you need the features than to spend a bit more and get that one from the start.
May 20, 2012 5:50:43 PM

willard said:
Here's the Extreme4 for $139.99. Almost $150 after shipping, which is probably still too high, though.

The Pro3 is a good board. The difference in it and the Extreme4 is largely in the number of PCIe slots and USB 3.0 ports, which you apparently don't care about. If you're sure you're not going to want them in the future, I'd say go ahead and save the $40 over the Extreme4 and grab it.

If you think you might need those ports/slots in the future, I'd say go ahead and get the Extreme4 just to be safe. It's a hell of a lot more expensive to buy a second board when you need the features than to spend a bit more and get that one from the start.

I have alot of issues with Newegg sending stuff to Europe, but like you said I'm not going to need more ports/slots for the future.
My current build is around 4/5 years old except the GPU so I'm planning to stay another 4 years with my new build

I'm going for the 'Asrock z68 Pro Gen3' like I mentioned before.
Many thanks for the help Lunyone and Willard
May 20, 2012 5:56:12 PM

Do you have a preferred website that you order from over there (across the pod from us)??
May 20, 2012 6:00:16 PM

Didn't know you were in Europe. Things tend to be a bit more expensive over there, so yeah, the Extreme4 isn't going to be easy to find at $130. Might catch one on eBay (I snagged the Extreme6 for $135 shipped that way), but if you don't need the features, you don't need them.

The Pro3 is a good board, and if it's got all your features, it's also the right board for you. No sense paying more for features you know you won't use.
May 20, 2012 6:15:14 PM

willard said:
Didn't know you were in Europe. Things tend to be a bit more expensive over there, so yeah, the Extreme4 isn't going to be easy to find at $130. Might catch one on eBay (I snagged the Extreme6 for $135 shipped that way), but if you don't need the features, you don't need them.

The Pro3 is a good board, and if it's got all your features, it's also the right board for you. No sense paying more for features you know you won't use.

Yeah still a tiny bit confused on the Z68 and z77 chipset. The only difference is that the z77 supports Ivy Bridy CPU'S?

I wont upgrade till 2017 so should I get the: ASRock Z77 Pro3 or ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
May 20, 2012 6:17:03 PM

lunyone said:
Do you have a preferred website that you order from over there (across the pod from us)??

I never order from the same site. Going to buy all my components from different sites with the best deals.
May 20, 2012 7:38:11 PM

Just figured out that my CPU cooler does not support 1155 sockets. :heink: 

Do you guys know a good but cheap CPU cooler? My budget would be around $50
May 20, 2012 8:17:48 PM

What's your cooler? You can buy new brackets for a lot of coolers for less than $10 which will make them work on new sockets.

As far as a good, cheap cooler, you can't go wrong with the Hyper 212. Around $35 shipped, and will keep your CPU nice and chilly.
May 20, 2012 9:13:26 PM

willard said:
What's your cooler? You can buy new brackets for a lot of coolers for less than $10 which will make them work on new sockets.

As far as a good, cheap cooler, you can't go wrong with the Hyper 212. Around $35 shipped, and will keep your CPU nice and chilly.

I got a Zalman CNPS9900 LED. I did not now you could buy separate brackets, going to look into that. That cooler you mentioned looks nice. Especialy the price for what it gives.

Its late in europe so im going to bed :D  Going to check things out tomorrow.
Thx for the great help so far.
May 21, 2012 2:35:51 AM

z68 vs z77, Items that I could find, there might be more:
* SB PCIe2.0 and HD3000 igpu graphics
* IB PCIe-3.0 and HD4000 igpu graphics
* 4 usb3 ports, natively
* new oc interface

Here's a summary from THIS website. Here's the summary below:

Z68
This chipset represents the pinnacle of Intel’s second-generation, mainstream Core processor platform (also known as Sandy Bridge). It combined the key features of the earlier P67 and H67 chipsets, as we have previously discussed. It supports splitting the main PCI-Express x16 connection into two x8 slots, allowing SLI or Crossfire functionality for improved gaming. It also allows for overclocking of select processors, and was the first Intel chipset to add Smart Response Technology – Intel’s fancy name for SSD caching of a traditional hard drive. Use of the onboard graphics on Intel’s Sandy Bridge processors is also supported, with up to two simultaneous monitor outputs.

Newer motherboards using this chipset have even been designed to be compatible with the upcoming third-gen Core processors; the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 is one such example. Those modified in this way claim to support PCI-Express 3.0, once equipped with a new 3rd-generation processor that supports the new standard.

Z77
This is the spiritual successor to Z68, with almost the exact same feature set. It has everything Z68 does and then some. For example, USB 3.0 has been integrated into the chipset; four USB 3.0 ports can be powered in this way, along with several of the older USB 2.0 ports. That means an add-on controller chip is no longer required, though many motherboards will still have one so that they can sport more than four USB 3.0 ports. SSD caching, overclocking, dual PCI-Express x8 slots, etc are all still available as well.

Another aspect of the chipset that has been improved is the support for onboard graphics. Once the matching 3rd-generation processors are out, motherboards will be able to offer three simultaneous monitor outputs instead of just two. Onboard graphics will also be faster, but both of those are functions of the newer processors; when paired with older Sandy Bridge CPUs, the speed will be the same as Z68 and the number of monitors supported at a time will still be two.
May 21, 2012 3:18:22 PM

lunyone said:
z68 vs z77, Items that I could find, there might be more:
* SB PCIe2.0 and HD3000 igpu graphics
* IB PCIe-3.0 and HD4000 igpu graphics
* 4 usb3 ports, natively
* new oc interface

Here's a summary from THIS website. Here's the summary below:

Z68
This chipset represents the pinnacle of Intel’s second-generation, mainstream Core processor platform (also known as Sandy Bridge). It combined the key features of the earlier P67 and H67 chipsets, as we have previously discussed. It supports splitting the main PCI-Express x16 connection into two x8 slots, allowing SLI or Crossfire functionality for improved gaming. It also allows for overclocking of select processors, and was the first Intel chipset to add Smart Response Technology – Intel’s fancy name for SSD caching of a traditional hard drive. Use of the onboard graphics on Intel’s Sandy Bridge processors is also supported, with up to two simultaneous monitor outputs.

Newer motherboards using this chipset have even been designed to be compatible with the upcoming third-gen Core processors; the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 is one such example. Those modified in this way claim to support PCI-Express 3.0, once equipped with a new 3rd-generation processor that supports the new standard.

Z77
This is the spiritual successor to Z68, with almost the exact same feature set. It has everything Z68 does and then some. For example, USB 3.0 has been integrated into the chipset; four USB 3.0 ports can be powered in this way, along with several of the older USB 2.0 ports. That means an add-on controller chip is no longer required, though many motherboards will still have one so that they can sport more than four USB 3.0 ports. SSD caching, overclocking, dual PCI-Express x8 slots, etc are all still available as well.

Another aspect of the chipset that has been improved is the support for onboard graphics. Once the matching 3rd-generation processors are out, motherboards will be able to offer three simultaneous monitor outputs instead of just two. Onboard graphics will also be faster, but both of those are functions of the newer processors; when paired with older Sandy Bridge CPUs, the speed will be the same as Z68 and the number of monitors supported at a time will still be two.

Seems z77 is not really that interesting. But it would only be a 10$ difference so probaly going for the z77 then
May 21, 2012 4:04:28 PM

buttermanscotch said:
Have a hard time trying to find the clip in Europe. Cant find it on ebay either

Yeah, I had a hard time finding it in America as well. I think Zalman may have end of lifed the product. The Hyper212 is still a good option if you can't find an 1155 clip for your Zalman, so at least there's that.
May 21, 2012 5:33:25 PM

willard said:
Yeah, I had a hard time finding it in America as well. I think Zalman may have end of lifed the product. The Hyper212 is still a good option if you can't find an 1155 clip for your Zalman, so at least there's that.

Thats true, I can always sell my old components: mobo, cpu, ram and cooler as a upgrade for somewan else.

!