Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade from (2) gtx-260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2012 10:55:58 PM

I'm thinking of up-grading to 2 gtx 460 cards. I want direct x 11. That is my biggest reason for the upgrade. I'm being told that direct x 11 is worth up-grading to. otherwise, i'm still very happy with my gtx-260 cards. Any advice? I mostly play cod mw3.

More about : upgrade gtx 260

March 18, 2012 11:04:41 PM

Well, cod mw3 isn't dx11, so unless there's a dx11 game you want to be playing, you won't see any difference and should not upgrade.

What dx11 games are you wanting to play (if any)?
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:07:23 PM

I would pick up an HD7870 tomorrow. It will give you the performance you are looking for, plus DX11. Then you can pick up a 2nd HD7870 in a few months once the prices have come down. This would be a much more logical solution than purchasing the, already outdated, GTX 460s.
Score
Related resources
March 18, 2012 11:12:16 PM

Quote:
DX11 is not totally worth the upgrade IMHO being it takes a massive performance hit and is not in all games and really the best looking game is DX9 IMO

:heink:  What game are you thinking of? Because I thought it was pretty well established that Crysis 2 and BF3 were the best looking games, and both are DX11.

iknowhowtofixit said:
I would pick up an HD7870 tomorrow. It will give you the performance you are looking for, plus DX11. Then you can pick up a 2nd HD7870 in a few months once the prices have come down. This would be a much more logical solution than purchasing the, already outdated, GTX 460s.

Again, this doesn't make much sense unless OP has DX11 games he wants to play.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:22:19 PM

Quote:
Some great looking DX9 games include The Witcher 2, Hard Reset, RIFT, Alan Wake, and many more.

They are good looking games and some of thems are heavy (witcher) but not great. BF3 and Crysis 2 (even DX10 Crysis) are better looking.
Also you forgot the best atm DX9 game. Skyrim! :p 
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:26:48 PM

Quote:
LOL skyrim looks decent but it is far from great it actually needs allot a mods to get it looking decent the shadows are terrible and jagged foe starters the backgrounds in the distance are static and I could go on and on.

I didnt say its good looking. I said its the best DX9 game. Unless you dissagree with this too...
PS: Crysis 1 doesnt have better graphics from Crysis 2 DX11 Ultra high res pack. Its crysis 1 surroundings making it heavy. Its easier to process a city with buildings than a jungle with trees, grass etc etc...
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:30:42 PM

Quote:
If you think it look better than the Witcher 2 than you need the eyes checked LOL

Can you just read before posting? I never said that the witcher has lesser graphic engine than skyrim.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:35:44 PM

Quote:
You said "Also you forgot the best atm DX9 game. Skyrim!"

Yes! "Game". Not graphic engine. Even a Barbie game can use Cry Engine 3 or X-Ray 2 engine or Unreal engine 4, but gamers want more than just graphics to make a game best. Don't we?
Score
a c 159 U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:37:53 PM

WARNING:
GTX4xx series runs HOT and NOISY. In terms of RAW benchamarks vs value a 2xGTX460 seems to make sense but there are several issue such as noise, heat, stutter not to mention these cards are getting old now.

I strongly suggest that you get an HD7xxx or GTX6xx (when released) that fits your needs.

If your system supports it, and the price is fine then the card to beat is this:

Sapphire Tech HD7950 OC:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1862/

Keep in mind:
- this card has been slightly overclocked but has been unofficially overclocked up to 45% over a stock HD7950 (awesome cooling solution). It costs about $490. It has a dual bios for overclocking so you can toggle between them.

- when games optimize for newer technology it will perform BETTER compared to older cards. For example, let's say it gets the SAME as Card A. In the future it might get 40% better in some games.

- this card runs VERY QUIETLY for its performance level. I've heard this card and I've heard a 2xGTX460 setup and the difference is HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!! (the GTX460 was also so hot I couldn't have run it at home without air conditioning.)

- POWER SUPPLY: A power supply requires two things:
#1- the total power (accounting for overclocking) must be calculated such as 750Watts

#2- the AMPS for the +12V rail (or combined rail) for the graphics card(s) must be available. I think a stock HD7950 requires around 44Amps. A 25% overclocked HD7950 requires close to 60Amps minimum.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:47:26 PM

Quote:
Now you just trolling LOL

"They are good looking games and some of thems are heavy (witcher) but not great. BF3 and Crysis 2 (even DX10 Crysis) are better looking.
Also you forgot the best atm DX9 game. Skyrim!"

Please, learn to read English. I will stop this nonsense-wall-talking. So please lets stay in topic cause someone asked information in order to spend some money.

photonboy said:
WARNING:
GTX4xx series runs HOT and NOISY.

About the GTX 4xx: I can imagine that you are referring to GF100. And you are right. But GTX460 is GF104, not GF100. It was for a long time the best bang for buck.
So, according to toms hardware GTX460s are running cool:

:) 
Score
March 18, 2012 11:50:40 PM

Quote:
Now you just trolling LOL

"They are good looking games and some of thems are heavy (witcher) but not great. BF3 and Crysis 2 (even DX10 Crysis) are better looking.
Also you forgot the best atm DX9 game. Skyrim!"

The topic was great looking DX9 games then you started to comparable DX9 to DX11 saying DX11 is better well ya I should hope so tha DX 11 is better looking but the point is that DX11 is not that much of a game changer for OP to trash his current SLIed GTX 260s for SLIed GTX460 just for DX11 GOD.

More like you don't know how to read. He never made any claims about Skyrim's graphics. You can accuse him of not posting on topic, but not for trolling or saying anything about Skyrim's graphics. If anyone is trolling here, it seems to be you. :non: 

Also, you said nothing about dx9 games looking good, you claimed the BEST looking game is dx9. It is not. Crysis, Crysis 2, and BF3 are all non-dx9 games that look better than any of the games you listed. The games you mentioned look great, but they are not the BEST.

Also, DX11 doesn't always involve a performance hit. Many of the new 7xxx cards, for example, perform BETTER in dx11 Crysis 2 than dx9 Crysis 2.
Score
March 18, 2012 11:57:35 PM

Quote:
IN YOUR most people's OPINION ^

Fix'd :bounce: 

You're gonna have a hard time convincing anyone that the best looking game is not either Crysis 2 or BF3.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:57:39 PM

BigMack70 said:
Also, DX11 doesn't always involve a performance hit. Many of the new 7xxx cards, for example, perform BETTER in dx11 Crysis 2 than dx9 Crysis 2.

Quote:
IN YOUR OPINION ^

He is right. Just look at this at the review of 7950:

Both 7970 and 7950 are performing better at DX11.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:03:15 AM

Thanks everyone, for all of the great responses. reading some of them, I realize that I should have written it a little different. I do play BF3 and Crysys........It's just that I MOSTLY play mw3. Also, Crysis and BF3 don't have the quality I was expecting. I am betting that is because I am using dx10. The other thing is: I am not a hard core gamer and do not need tha latest and greatest. The gtx 260 cards that i have now, are older than the 460 cards, and i am quite happy with them. i wouldn't consider the up-grade, if it were not for dx11. And, i am thinking that the new games that come out now will all be dx11? So.......for very little money I can go tot he 460 cards and probably be quite happy. Thank everybody....i appreciate all of the great responses.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:03:22 AM

im still happy with my single gtx260. i can no longer find any gtx260 nowadays that i can sli. sad.

anyways, I could still play games with decent graphics. i will upgrade to the next generation card, maybe gtx6xx. I feel that it's a waste of money to upgrade to 460. performance between these 2 cards are not that huge.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:03:45 AM

Quote:
well most people still own a dx10 only card so they would not even know for sure lol

People with dx10 cards can still look at dx11 screenshots... :pfff: 

I think we have found our troll.

Also, the install base % difference between dx10 and dx11 is not that great.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:06:48 AM

Best answer selected by terryd75.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:07:24 AM

terryd75 said:
Thanks everyone, for all of the great responses. reading some of them, I realize that I should have written it a little different. I do play BF3 and Crysys........It's just that I MOSTLY play mw3. Also, Crysis and BF3 don't have the quality I was expecting. I am betting that is because I am using dx10. The other thing is: I am not a hard core gamer and do not need tha latest and greatest. The gtx 260 cards that i have now, are older than the 460 cards, and i am quite happy with them. i wouldn't consider the up-grade, if it were not for dx11. And, i am thinking that the new games that come out now will all be dx11? So.......for very little money I can go tot he 460 cards and probably be quite happy. Thank everybody....i appreciate all of the great responses.

If you're playing Crysis 2 and BF3, go ahead and upgrade to 460 SLI or 560ti SLI if you want a bit more performance. I'm not too familiar with 460 SLI performance but 560ti SLI would be available for $330 if you're comfortable buying 2 of the Zotac card with MIR off newegg. :D 

Also, I think we've pretty much confirmed haliburton to be a troll. I'm all outta troll bait though - I suggest we just leave him alone :sol: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 12:11:17 AM

BigMack70 said:
People with dx10 cards can still look at dx11 screenshots... :pfff: 

I think we have found our troll.

I was about to post it (the steam numbers) :p .

terryd75 said:

terryd75, before go buying 2 gtx 460, you can find similar performance on an o/c GTX570 for somewhat same price (assuming the gtx460 costs $130-140).
Then you can use also one of your gtx 260 as physX card :) 
Score
March 19, 2012 12:13:34 AM

Memnarchon said:
I was about to post it (the steam numbers) :p .

terryd75, before go buying 2 gtx 460, you can find similar performance on an o/c GTX570 for somewhat same price (assuming the gtx460 costs $130-140).
Then you can use also one of your gtx 260 as physX card :) 

that is good advice. thank you. i will consider that
Score
March 19, 2012 12:49:12 AM

Quote:
Steam survey states that 35% of people use DX11 based cards so you are wrong so wrong thanx for trying but failing to prove your BS is fact.

*finds one more bit of troll bait... feeds troll knowing he probably shouldn't*

What exactly am I wrong about? I said:
Quote:

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. Try harder next time troll.

Can we get this thread closed already? Over half this troll's posts are in this thread alone...
Score
March 19, 2012 1:08:19 AM

Maybe your reading comprehension is bad AND you need glasses? :pfff: 

My claim, in case you missed it the first two times, is that there is not a huge gap between % install base on DX10 and DX11. My evidence (which you seem to be incapable of seeing, since this is the THIRD time I've had to post it):

Anyways, I'm done feeding. Go get yourself some glasses and an elementary school education on reading comprehension.
Score
March 19, 2012 1:24:27 AM

20%+ are unknown and could be either dx10 or dx11 capable GPUs but since they are running winXP - they are dx9 and thus part of neither the dx10 or dx11 install base BECAUSE NEITHER DX10 NOR DX11 IS ON THEIR COMPUTER - maybe a FOURTH look at that link will help you understand that

you sir, are full of fail
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 9:10:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!