Expanding HP Pavilion Slimline to a New Case

frozenrice101

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01466473&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3747372#N235

My Computer ...lol...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard
-Socket: Am2
-Form Factor is: Micro-ATX
-Max Watt: 65
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current CPU is
Athlon 64 x2 Dual core [65 W]

Can I use a
Athlon 2 X4 Quad core 620 [42 W] <--Socket is compatible [btw]

----------------------------- The Plan*

***I'm going to transfer my Motherboard, hardrive and optial Drive to a
"new" MicroATX Gaming PC case; which can hold a larger PS2 PSU for better GPU.

***Going add in ATX/ PS2 PSU, and a dedicated GPU -which will overide my current Integrated GPU.

Not going for gaming much, but just practing for a current Tech class.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I do not know much about AMD but even if the socket is the same then it is only half of the deal.
The other half is knowing two points:
1) Is the motherboard suited to handle the Athlon 2 X4 Quad core 620?
2) If my motherboard is suited to handle the new CPU. Then what is my actual motherboard BIOS firmware and does it need to be updated to accept the new CPU?

Do you have the motherboard and/or PC manual that came with the HP slimline?
If you do not then contact HP tech support by Email perhaps and ask them those two questions :p

After that point, if it is a yes, yes answer then go ahead but remember this.... if you can change the CPU and you do not need to update the BIOS then perhaps your CPU will be recognize correctly or you may have to enter the bios and enter CPU parameters yourself in which case... make some research so you are ready.

Also what kind of ram do you actually use? would this ram be perfect for the new CPU or is it just compatible with? or do I have to switch the ram too? in which case, what is the max module ram supported by the hp slimline motherboard (max total and max per module, EXAMPLE: 8 gigs total, 2 gigs per module across 4 banks), and what is the ramp type the motherboard accept (ddr, DDRII, DDRIII, 400, 800, 1066, 1333...).