rmac52

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
OK this website and forum has been my go to site to read about new tech. I've never contributed or asked any questions here.

I build computers as a hobby for people I know and people they know and so on. Now I'm upgrading my aging system.

I have priced out and compared many different build over the last few weeks.
I should say what I have now and what will be staying.
Corsair 600t case
corsair 1050w psu
2 ocz 60gb agility 3 ssd's run in raid 0
many spare hdds
liquid cooling set up with blocks for amd and intel cpu's
that's all staying. now for what im looking to replace
I have an asus mht-37n mobo (may have the model number fucked up)
amd phenom 2 x4 940 be curently running at 3.75 ghz
4 gb corsair 1066 ddr2 ram
2x gtx 285 in sli

now I really want to replace the cpu and mobo.
the Gpu's out perform a 560 but get beat handily by the 660 ti. So I may keep them till the 600 series price drops

now I think I have narrowed my list down to 2 potential builds
the first one is an amd fx-8120 with an asrock mobo and 16 gb ram
second is an i5 3570k with an asrock mobo and the same ram.

the intel build is $100 more than the amd build.
I am a student so I use my computer for web surfing and various low demand tasks but I also game and do some video editing on occasion.
Also heat is not an issue for me

For the $100 difference I can get a 670 over the 660ti or wait a few months and get 2 660's for sli.
So my main question is would a better gpu setup be able to off set the fact that cpu to cpu the i5 destroys the fx-8120?

I have used the i5 in builds for other people and Its a phenomenal cpu. I thinks its the best cpu you should buy.
I have also used the fx-4100 in budget builds because I can oc it and its is a better buy that the i3
I have never used a bulldozer cpu above a 4100 I usually go intel for that.
Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

CPU side get whatever the i5 is a good bet but its not like you will not be gaming well on a 8120.

GPU side 660 SLI is about 15-20% faster than a single 680 but it is 20% more expensive and uses more power and thus generates more heat.

mubin

Distinguished
Hi and well to the forum.

i5 destroy fx-8120 only in gaming. But in other program its fine. When you get a gtx670, you of course need a i5 to get higher fps in game. Any 8-core amd will give you less frame than i5 cpu.

So no need to get gtx670 with fx-8120. Buy a i5 then upgrade to high-end cpu later to get good frame.

spat55

Distinguished

What this guy said, get the i5 3570k I reckon, then when you have enough money or whatever get a new GPU :)

TRENDING THREADS