How to disable "Remember each folder's view settings" and ..

I want to configure a lot of PCs with the folder view settings like
"Details". I also need to disable "Remember each folder's view settings".

I think this information is stored in Registry in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cabine
tState]. The registry key "Settings" contains a lot of hex values. Sorry,
but I cannot find info about what each value represent.

Questions:

1: Do you know how to change folder view to "Details" (by changing registry
or another way that can be automated / scripted)?

2: Where can I find detailed information about what the different values of
the registry key "Settings" means?

Thanks
Harald
2 answers Last reply
More about disable remember folder view settings

    Hi Harald,

    How to view file list in detail mode permanently (WXP-Pro)
    http://snipurl.com/8vtd

    These are the keys that remember the setting but do not change with
    the settings:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

    Another way to do what you want would be to set the view and disable
    folder options:

    1. In Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/clear "Restore
    Defaults" and "Reset all Folders".
    2. Reboot
    3. In Windows Explorer [Not "My Computer"] go to the View Tab and
    Reset the options you desire.
    4. In Tools/Folder Options, "Do Not" enable "Remember Each Folder's
    View Settings".
    5. Close the View Tab. Make sure the View is still as you would like
    it.
    6. Then go to Tools/Folder Options/View/"Apply to All Folders".

    Then disable the Folder Options Menu by creating these Registry
    Settings:

    User Key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    System Key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    Value Name: NoFolderOptions
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = show options, 1 = hide options)

    The icon in Control Panel may have to be disabled also.

    You may find this site helpful also.
    Doug's Windows 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Tips
    http://www.dougknox.com/right.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    "Harald" <Dummy@noSpam.com> wrote:
    | I want to configure a lot of PCs with the folder view settings like
    | "Details". I also need to disable "Remember each folder's view settings".
    |
    | I think this information is stored in Registry in
    | [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cabine
    | tState]. The registry key "Settings" contains a lot of hex values. Sorry,
    | but I cannot find info about what each value represent.
    |
    | 1: Do you know how to change folder view to "Details" (by changing registry
    | or another way that can be automated / scripted)?
    |
    | 2: Where can I find detailed information about what the different values of
    | the registry key "Settings" means?

    Harald,

    To disable "Remember each folder's view settings":

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    DWORD ClassicViewState 1

    2: Some references:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/w2rkbook/regentry.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/regentry_overview.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_pt1_overview.mspx
    scriptguide

Configuration Registry Microsoft Windows XP