Sign in with
Your question

My PC wont shutdown

Last response: in Windows 7
January 21, 2012 9:52:26 PM

Hey guys, I need help.
My son and I built this machine for Christmas and still cant get this flaw worked out. Everything seems fine other than shutting the machine down. No matter how we try to turn it off, it freezes at the shutdown screen and we have to turn it off by holding the power button. Yes, we tried letting it shutdown on its own, overnight and it was still stuck on the shutdown screen.
Machine Specs-
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500 CPu 3.30GHz
Motherboard
PH61A-P35 (B3)
Memory
8 GB
Graphics Card(s)
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Sound Card
Dynex
Monitor(s) Displays
AOC 20in
Screen Resolution
1366x768
Hard Drives
500 gb
PSU
650w

More about : wont shutdown

January 21, 2012 9:56:58 PM

Maybe it has some corrupted files, try recovering it with your OS CD
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:00:38 PM

Upgrade the BIOS firmware.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 10:14:29 PM

fb39ca4 said:
Upgrade the BIOS firmware.

Thats not the answer I wanted to hear. Upgrading the BIOS is rather intimidating to me. I never did that before, will I lose anything
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:25:59 PM

Just go to the manufacturers website, find your motherboard, and download the firmware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 10:26:16 PM

Hi :) 

Try this....
go into MSCONFIG....and click the button that says disable all (in STARTUP)..then try shutting down...if it works, re-enable all , then turn off programs one at a time until you find the culprtit...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2012 10:27:43 PM

Hi again...

Oops forgot to add,,, its NOTHING to do with the bios..... and I own Computer and Laptop repair shops ....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 21, 2012 11:10:07 PM

I would go with Brett because I'm very young and don't know very much about computer software and such. I was just answering your question on how to update the bios.
m
l
January 21, 2012 11:37:54 PM

What kind of PSU?

Can you turn the system off by holding the power switch in for a few seconds?

If yes, probably a small fault in the motherboard.

If no, probably a fault the PSU control circuits.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2012 12:10:28 AM

The easiest way to check if its a program getting stuck etc is just simply start it up in safe mode (spam F8 key) and let it fully boot, then try turning it off, if it works its more then likely a program thats causing the issue
m
l
January 22, 2012 12:24:16 AM

You people are getting way too hardware-minded with this. It sounds like something's just corrupt in the Windows installation, and there's an easy way to tell whether it's Windows or the system itself.

First, try Mouse's idea. Boot in Safe Mode, and try shutting it down. If it works, then a program is hanging on shutdown.

Second, try testing the operating system itself. I like to do this by using a Ubuntu LiveCD that I always keep on hand.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
Burn an installation CD, put it in the drive, shut down, and boot off of it to run it as a LiveCD (doesn't install anything; runs the basic operating system off of the DVD drive). Basically all you need to do is start it and shut it back down... and I'm 99% positive it won't give you any problems. If it works, the problem is narrowed down to something residing in your Windows Installation.

If it works as expected, back up your files and do a repair install of Windows. If that doesn't change anything, reformat the drive and do a fresh install. It's a pain, but it's a lot easier than troubleshooting and replacing hardware.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:53:34 AM

If software is causing the system to hang on shutdown, you generally get some kind of notification on the screen.
m
l
January 22, 2012 10:44:16 AM

mouse24 said:
The easiest way to check if its a program getting stuck etc is just simply start it up in safe mode (spam F8 key) and let it fully boot, then try turning it off, if it works its more then likely a program thats causing the issue

Thanks alot man, it shut down normally in safe mode. Guess its time to roll up my sleeves and get to work again.
m
l
!