Second PSU is crackling (first one blew up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I bought the silverstone SG05 with 450w PSU. After less than a week, it blew up in my face when I turned it on at the back. I noticed it was making a crackling noise beforehand but I wasn't aware this was a sign of death. So I went ahead and bought a new PSU, this time I got the Gold rated, full modular version. I noticed after a day or two that this one is making the exact same crackling sound even if the pc is turned off. If there is any power going into the psu, it makes the noise. (same issue as with the first psu).

I've asked around and no one seems to have an answer. So far I've tried switching power cords and changing power sockets but it didn't make a difference.

I don't know if this helps, but I was using my TX650 as a temporary psu while I was waiting for the new one to come. When it was plugged into a power board it made the crackling noise sporadically but not all the time. Then I plugged it directly into the wall and the crackling went away. I never noticed any crackling from it when I had it in my other rig.

My specs:
i5 2500k (stock for now)
gtx560 ti (also stock for now)
Asrock Z77E-ITX

My first psu that blew up was a Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX, the new one I got is the Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w sfx.

Solution

You take the suspected item apart and look for metal parts that shouldn't be there (like studs not lined up with a hole) and scorch marks. If the crackling comes from an electrical arc, another possibility would be to turn off all case lights, take the computer in the darkest room possible and look for sparks, though the sparks might not be strong enough or located in such a way that they are readily observable. You could also try to isolate parts one by one in the most sound-proof environment you can put together to positively identify which part(s) the noise is coming from. One makeshift way to do this is to simply use the cardboard core...
That is strange. Considering that you have bought two PSU's of good quality, and both have had the same problem (and another PSU is having the issue sporadically), then I dont think its the unit at fault.

Check inside the case to see if anything (the mobo is most likely) is shorting out to the case. That could be causing the issue.

Or its an issue with your houses electricity. Take the rig over to a friend's place and see if the issue continues there.

InvalidError

Titan

If you never get the crackling when plugged directly to the wall then you might have a defective power bar.

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

That was with the tx650. the silverstone still crackles.

sorry if this is a stupid question but how exactly do I check if anything is shorting out? I have checked and the motherboard isn't touching the case itself, it's just sitting on the standoffs and I have the rear IO installed.

InvalidError

Titan

You take the suspected item apart and look for metal parts that shouldn't be there (like studs not lined up with a hole) and scorch marks. If the crackling comes from an electrical arc, another possibility would be to turn off all case lights, take the computer in the darkest room possible and look for sparks, though the sparks might not be strong enough or located in such a way that they are readily observable. You could also try to isolate parts one by one in the most sound-proof environment you can put together to positively identify which part(s) the noise is coming from. One makeshift way to do this is to simply use the cardboard core from a paper towel roll and use that to channel noise from the suspected area to your ears.

If the crackling comes from the PSU itself, either your PSU is defective (again) or you have a mains electrical fault that might be killing it. After three PSUs from three different product lines spanning two vendors, the mains theory becomes difficult to ignore.

Solution

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I plugged it into a Monster Power home theatre power board (bar) and I haven't heard any crackling for a few hours now. The crackling was definitely coming from the psu. Does this still mean the psu is defective? Or does it mean it's something got to do with the houses electricity?

I'm pretty sure the issue is fixed, but should I still be worried? Thanks everyone

InvalidError

Titan

If changing the power bar fixed the problem, that reinforces my theory that your crackling may have been caused by an electrical fault.

The PSU may not have been defective beforehand but may have been damaged by whatever external fault was causing the arcing that made the PSU create the noise you were hearing. If the PSU crackles when plugged directly to the wall, I would still investigate line voltages and ground at the time the crackling is occurring if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.