Thermal paste in Ivy Bridge CPUs

Hello, can anyone tell me if the use of thermal paste instead of fluxless solder inside Ivy Bridge processors shorten their lifespan or affect their functioning? I'd like to know that because I'm considering buying i3-3225 for my new PC. Thank you in adavance.
7 answers Last reply
More about thermal paste bridge cpus
  1. The chip only cares about voltage and heat.

The paste doesn't seem to transfer heat as well as the solder, but the chip still stays well within it's thermal specs at stock clocks.

As long as you keep the chip cool, it should last. The thermal paste just makes that job more difficult when overclocking.
  2. If you're very concern about temp, you can remove the heat spreader and replace the typical crap thermal paste with something better.
  3. its only an i3, i wouldnt touch it should be fine and running cool at all times
  4. If you want to reduce temps further and save on power you could try to undervolt the chip. At stock speeds and since overclocking is pretty much limited to only 3-5% due to locked multiplier as well base clock. Intel and AMD often give their chips more than they need to run even at stock clocks.
  5. A Bad Day said:
    If you're very concern about temp, you can remove the heat spreader and replace the typical crap thermal paste with something better.

You could do that but it's a huge hassle and it voids your warrenty. I guess my point is that while thermsal paste isn't as good as fluxless solder it isn't horrible. It's not bad enough to be worth the time, hassle and voided warrenty.
  6. OK, thanks a lot for your replies - I'll go with Ivy Bridge! :)
  7. I don't you are going to have any issues with them. I have the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and run it overclocked 24/7.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Thermal Compound Processors