Need help with decision of upgrade

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2012 11:16:00 AM

Hi,

I would just like to ask if there will be a major increase in performance if I upgrade from my current computer specs to a new one:

Current Computer Specs::
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM ddr2 667
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 7750HD 1g ddr5
150g hard disk

I am planning to upgrade everything except the Graphics Card.

Mobo will be on
Basically, my eyes are on the following processors:
AMD A6-3500
AMD 450

Which one is better of the two processors?

Then I would upgrade Ram to 8gig ddr3 1333.

Question is, will i feel a major difference if i proceed with the upgrade?
Basically the RAM and the HDD I will notice, but the processor? will it make a huge difference?

Any recommendations would be nice.

Thanks and Good Day

More about : decision upgrade

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 12:44:12 PM

*Sigh* Too many people are recommending intel. The performance just does not justify the price point.

I recommend an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE. I got one, and it's fab. It's around 20-25% weaker than the i5 2500k, but the i5 is double the price. Easy decision there, mate.
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2012 1:42:21 PM

MajinCry said:
*Sigh* Too many people are recommending intel. The performance just does not justify the price point.

I recommend an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE. I got one, and it's fab. It's around 20-25% weaker than the i5 2500k, but the i5 is double the price. Easy decision there, mate.

I like this sir.. from what i know this is a quad core right?
how is the performance with regards to game might i ask?
Currently i am preparing my rig so that i could play assassins creed 3 when it comes out. Basically playing assassins creed 2 til assassins creed revelations only gives me 5-15fps.. can this processor handle these kind of games?

Also tried playing Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, and the witcher 2.

With skyrim, i can set it to ultra settings, with some hd mods but i have to lessen the quantity of the view distance. I get about 10-20fps here.

Dragon Age and Witcher 2, i get 5-10fps only thats why i want to upgrade.

Any thoughts on the this processor handling these games?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 2:02:49 PM

The AMD 965BE is a good processor for budget gaming. You still have a weak graphics card for games adn that's going to hold you back from seeing any improvements by upgrading the processor.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:14:19 PM

egilbe said:
The AMD 965BE is a good processor for budget gaming. You still have a weak graphics card for games adn that's going to hold you back from seeing any improvements by upgrading the processor.

I see, but if i upgrade the processor and ram first, will there be an improvement? or i just need to buy a good graphics card?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 2:23:33 PM

You should do both, but go with the ram and processor first.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:34:18 PM

egilbe said:
You should do both, but go with the ram and processor first.

I see.. I have seen some AMD Phenom II X4 965 in my area but not the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE.. Are those two the same? or should i just look for the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 2:36:55 PM

Okay, I may be writing a wall. We'll see :p 

The reason why you will need to upgrade your CPU before you upgrade your GPU, is that the CPU sends the information about what needs to be drawn to the GPU (Rather than getting the information and drawing it all on it's lonesome.). I noticed double frame rates (=<30FPS on Skyrim/Fallout 3/NewVegas) after I upgraded from my core 2 duo e6700 to the phenom II x4 965 with no change in GPU.
My gpu at the time was (And still is) an AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3. I went from sub 30fps, to stable 40FPS at all times, even at higher resolutions.
Had to game at 1024X768 with the core 2 duo to not be frustrated at the poor FPS, but can now game at 1280X1024 and everything feels like a movie.

With a core 2 duo (Successor to the Core Duo, successor to the Pentium D), you can only expect around 30FPS on Battlefield 3 on singe player with low settings. With the Phenom II X4 965 BE, you can get 60+FPS with the 965 at high settings (Don't know HOW high, haven't played the game meself. Not a fan of shooters, but there are gameplay videos of the 965 in BF3), assuming you have a graphics card that can punt out frames at that speed.

Your GPU is fine for games as long as you don't care about AA (I don't.), don't go too crazy on the AF (8X is a good number, 16 just ain't worth the performance hit. I use 4X because I don't REALLY care about how my games look.), and don't try to game at 1080p.

But yeah. A 965 can be bought for £80 at pretty much every site, a good motherboard such as the Asrock M3N78D (Good if you don't care about XFire. Lotsa ports, and can do 32GB) is around £45, and 8GB of RAM is £40.

With Skyrim, as I said, I get 40FPS easy (Got a cap on it to prevent FPS drops in heavier scenes....Got the grass pumped up.) and have all the rendering distances, aside from items, maxed out. Also got a mod that makes buildings and rocks render at full LOD (So things at a distance don't "fade in". You can see 'em from as far away as you have your UGrids set at.).

I'd say the 965 is a beast, considering how cheap it is.
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 2:41:47 PM

rockstarxd said:
I see.. I have seen some AMD Phenom II X4 965 in my area but not the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE.. Are those two the same? or should i just look for the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE?

As far as I know, they are the same. I've never seen anything other than a 965BE
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 2:45:42 PM

The BE stands for Black Edition, which is more overclocking friendly.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:55:06 PM

MajinCry said:
Okay, I may be writing a wall. We'll see :p 

The reason why you will need to upgrade your CPU before you upgrade your GPU, is that the CPU sends the information about what needs to be drawn to the GPU (Rather than getting the information and drawing it all on it's lonesome.). I noticed double frame rates (=<30FPS on Skyrim/Fallout 3/NewVegas) after I upgraded from my core 2 duo e6700 to the phenom II x4 965 with no change in GPU.
My gpu at the time was (And still is) an AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3. I went from sub 30fps, to stable 40FPS at all times, even at higher resolutions.
Had to game at 1024X768 with the core 2 duo to not be frustrated at the poor FPS, but can now game at 1280X1024 and everything feels like a movie.

With a core 2 duo (Successor to the Core Duo, successor to the Pentium D), you can only expect around 30FPS on Battlefield 3 on singe player with low settings. With the Phenom II X4 965 BE, you can get 60+FPS with the 965 at high settings (Don't know HOW high, haven't played the game meself. Not a fan of shooters, but there are gameplay videos of the 965 in BF3), assuming you have a graphics card that can punt out frames at that speed.

Your GPU is fine for games as long as you don't care about AA (I don't.), don't go too crazy on the AF (8X is a good number, 16 just ain't worth the performance hit. I use 4X because I don't REALLY care about how my games look.), and don't try to game at 1080p.

But yeah. A 965 can be bought for £80 at pretty much every site, a good motherboard such as the Asrock M3N78D (Good if you don't care about XFire. Lotsa ports, and can do 32GB) is around £45, and 8GB of RAM is £40.

With Skyrim, as I said, I get 40FPS easy (Got a cap on it to prevent FPS drops in heavier scenes....Got the grass pumped up.) and have all the rendering distances, aside from items, maxed out. Also got a mod that makes buildings and rocks render at full LOD (So things at a distance don't "fade in". You can see 'em from as far away as you have your UGrids set at.).

I'd say the 965 is a beast, considering how cheap it is.

From a core2duo to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, i can bet that from my Pentium D to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE would be very very good upgrade.

Okay, im going to get the AMD Phenom II X4 965 for my processor.

Thank you kind Sir for your reply, if it werent for you, i will probably just be stuck with this processor since i cant decide, and i dont know which is better.

Again Thank you.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:55:23 PM

Best answer selected by rockstarxd.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:59:27 PM

egilbe said:
As far as I know, they are the same. I've never seen anything other than a 965BE

I see, thank you sir for the replies.
Im getting my hands on a AMD Phenom II X4 965 first thing tomorrow. :) 

Thanks again!:) 
m
l