Sign in with
Your question

Dual Booting Windows 7 and Snow Leopard help!

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 2, 2010 7:40:10 PM

Hi to all,

I want to dual boot my laptop just like the title says.

Now, from all the research that i've done, it is a lot easier if snow leopard was installed first, then windows 7.

However, here's the problem.

Windows 7 is already installed first and i cant seem to install snow leopard.

I am able to boot into the snow leopard disk and use disk utilites. and all but i cant seem to install snow leopard.. =(.

like what i did was.
1. made a partition in windows 7 (unallocated space)
2. boot snow leopard dvd
3. formated the unallocated partition
4. ... ....................................... cant install it lol.

like if i were to install it i would have to format the whole drive!... as in wipe my whole hard drive! but i dont want to do this.

so can anyone throw me some ideas as in how i can do this? or if anyone have been in this same situation before??

pls pls pls.. help i want to run in snow leopard. =D

many thanks appreciated in adv.
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2010 7:49:47 PM

I'm assuming that you are talking about a PC rather than a Mac. First step - is your disk partitioned with a GUID partition table? If not I don't think you're going to get much further.

Have a look at this article.
m
l
September 2, 2010 7:53:36 PM

yes i am trying to do this on a pc.

but GUID partition would only be accessible through mac? right? so if my drive isnt partitioned using the GUID partition table i cant dual boot it.? with windows 7 installed first.. ??
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2010 8:11:08 PM

You can actually install and boot 64-bit versions of Windows 7 on a GUID partitioned disk if you have EFI, but that probably doesn't apply in your case.

Here's another article that might help. Having read it I must admit that, on a desktop, I'd just stick in a second disk!
m
l
September 3, 2010 3:35:49 AM

well ya .. i used EFI to boot it into snow leopard dvd... but i cant install it cause it wont let me. but ya im chcking the article right now
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2010 4:36:30 AM

Your in over your head and your in the wrong forum. You cant just install Snow Leopard because you want to. You need to have very specific components, and most methods are not for dual booting partitions, most dual boots with snow on it are with 2 hard drives.

I have built about 20 of these setups, and you are going to need to go to the right forum and read a ton more before you go any further.
m
l
September 10, 2010 1:12:38 AM

daship said:
Your in over your head and your in the wrong forum. You cant just install Snow Leopard because you want to. You need to have very specific components, and most methods are not for dual booting partitions, most dual boots with snow on it are with 2 hard drives.

I have built about 20 of these setups, and you are going to need to go to the right forum and read a ton more before you go any further.

well PARDON ME!!

but i figured it out :p 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 6:11:13 AM

Perhaps you could be so kind as to post what the problem was in case anyone else is having similar difficulties?
m
l
September 13, 2010 3:39:00 AM

abourne15 said:
well PARDON ME!!

but i figured it out :p 

Please if you could tell me the steps as i am also trying the same Windows 7 and Mac os X
m
l
September 17, 2010 12:27:32 AM

just make your all of your components are compatible with the injections (kexts) that are made with the snow leopard versions that are out there.

once that's done... remember you need guid partition. and then. you just use boot camp to instal win 7
m
l
!