Post build test questions

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
So I just completed my build and was wondering what programs you guys use to test and make sure everything is running 100%?

I haven't had any problems so far, so it's not like I am trying to solve any particular issue. I updated the bios and have all drivers installed and windows up to date. AV installed, the whole 9 yards.

What do you guys do to test performance and reliability, if anything? Prime95? 3DMark?

Basically, how do you make sure your components are working up to there capacity? And make sure temps aren't getting too high, especially if OCing? Is there a program for that that runs on the desktop? I see in the bios the CPU/Mobo temp is like 28C at idle.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
you are very wise for wanting to test your components and make sure their 100% rather than just assuming since they're new they're good. I love using hirens bootcd which contains a bunch of useful apps. The older versions (9.7 and older I think) contained PC-Doctor which would run diagnostic tests on all your hardware and tell you if its good or bad.

for testing performance you want some sort of benchmark software, 3dmark is good because you can compare your system to others with similar hardware.

prime95 is more of a stability test for stress testing your cpu/memory for long periods of time to ensure that a overclock is stable.

as for temp programs I like to use CPUID's hardware monitor because it tells you current/min/max temps.

there are surely other programs out there for testing/monitoring etc... but these are the ones that I use

You could download a host of 3rd party apps for CPU / GPU testing and monitoring or you could d/l just one.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

OCCT will torture test your CPU and GPU while monitoring temps, voltages and other parameters. It will shut itself down if set limits are exceeded and sound an alarm. You can also view the graphs or temps, voltages, etc at the tests conclusion.

You also want to gran MSI afterburner for the GPU, latest versions of which including betas can be found on the Guru3D web site.

I used to do final testing w/ Prime 95 but since version 4.x of OCCT I have found no use for it.

TRENDING THREADS