What PSU to buy for this system?

munyosz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I am upgrading an old PC in which I currently have a 400 Watt Mercury PSU (ATX Power Switching).
photo%203.JPG

I have bought a Radeon HD 3850 AGP Graphics card and an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU , the fastest graphics card and CPU for the NF7-S2 motherboard (Socket A), which is currently in this old PC.

I also have 2 HDDs, 2 DVD players/writers, and 1 floppy drive in this machine.

What PSU would I need to power the HD 3850 (and the rest of the system) ?

I was thinking maybe I could get a cheap, branded 700-800W PSU and they will easily handle the (old-ish) Graphics card.
[E.g.
- WinPower Plus 800 W - my brother uses one of these to power a GeForce 8800 GTS, AMD Phenom X3, 1 hdd and etc... (has been working flawlessly for 6 months now)
- CIT 750 W - never used one of these before
- Alpine 650W - never used one before
Would one of these be enough ? Or should I go for an overpriced Corsair ? ]

Could anyone help me out here ?
Thanks in advance!!

Every psu you mentioned is pure crap, trying to make up for quality with watts is silly
An overpriced Corsair CX430 would be more than enough
Maybe an Antec VP450 would cost less, hey more watts, and much better quality than the $18 dollar unit's you mentioned
Both are considered low budget power supplies

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I can only recomend the Cooler Master Silent Pro. I only do that cause I have it and I can say its dead silent. You put it next to your ear and dont hear anything. There are some low noise psu in the market, but they all produce some small humming. I may be unfamiliar with others no noise psu.

+1
It's still showing as a pre-order though