Best choice for new CPU

sapphireman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Howdy folks, I'm looking at the possibility upgrading the CPU (and mobo if I switch to Intel). I recently upgraded my GPU to an HD 7950. I love it, but after some reading it seems that the game I play most of the time, DCS A-10C, relies more on the CPU than might a standard game. My current setup:
790XTA-UD4 Mobo
G.Skill 8GB @1600 RAM
HIS Iceq HD 7950
AMD 970 Black 3.5GHz
PCPC 750w psu

My first curiosity is if upgrading at this point will actually give me a notable boost (both in-game as well as out). Although I'm no expert here, I know that my system is fairly decent but that the CPU and especially the mobo are outdated. Could either be bottlenecking my GPU?

Ok, so, assuming I decide to upgrade where should I look? The research I've done didn't really give me a clear path. Is something like an FX-8120/50 going to give me some results or would I be better going with an Intel chip (and if so, what would be a good mobo combo)? A really broad question, I know, but any input would be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance!

Solution
i5 k series (SB don't bother with IB) will give a nice boost when overclocked beyond 4ghz. The increase from the extra i/o alone will boost fps in games then take into account the faster fpu and higher ipc the i5/i7 is a clear win. Don't get cheap on the ram, SB and IB love fast ram.
i5 k series (SB don't bother with IB) will give a nice boost when overclocked beyond 4ghz. The increase from the extra i/o alone will boost fps in games then take into account the faster fpu and higher ipc the i5/i7 is a clear win. Don't get cheap on the ram, SB and IB love fast ram.

Solution

sapphireman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

So a couple questions for you... I should have mentioned that my knowledge on all this is not that extensive. Isn't IB the newest line, so why choose a SB chip over it? If I did pick up a SB and overclocked it, would I need to replace the stock heatsink as well? You mentioned that simply an increase in the I/O would give me a boost... What is I/O? At that rate, what are fpu and ipc as well? In regards to the RAM you said I shouldn't skimp on, were you implying that mine isn't adequate? Link to the specific RAM I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455
Thanks again for your help!

I usually cater to those who are of higher skill level but IB isn't the best thing around for overclocking. SB is better due to higher quality and on average lower temps. Power consumption between the two is small once higher voltages come into play. i/o well that is an easy one for anyone who has been around long enough to know that it means bandwidth as well throughput.

sapphireman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I did a bunch of research over the last few hours that Tom's has been down... As a (totally unrelated) side note, I find it disturbing that my 970BE idles at 48ºC, where with the 2500k I see nothing but reports of it idling at around 28ºC-33ºC. I knew AMD chips ran hot but I didn't realize it was that large of a margin!

Anyway, I'm set on getting the i5-2500K at this point, and I've moved on to Mobos. I am considering the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P. I've been happy with my current GB mobo and this guy seems to be reliable with OC'ing (this will be my first OC attempt). I'm not looking to spend a crazy amount on a board, just enough to meet my wants. Anyone have a different recommendation? Thanks for the input.

sapphireman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Alright, welp I ended up reading about what seemed a wide-spread boot-loop issue with the Gig Mobo I mentioned so I decided to go with the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 instead... A little bit more expensive but it's also got PCIe-3.0 as well as more 6Gb/s Sata, plus a lot good reviews from people with almost the exact same setup as I have planned. Thanks for the input.