Processor=E7400 @ 3.1 ghz
Ram=8gb @ 1333
GPU=9400 GT
going to be playing games at 1680 x 1050 can buy a HD monitor in future

which graphic card should i buy which will be less bottlenecked by my processor

gtx 460 or gtx 560 ?

More about : cpu bottleneck

March 19, 2012 3:31:30 PM

I'd just say get the best GPU you can buy. Your CPU isn't great but it's not bottom-of-the-barrel awful either.

My thoughts: Go ahead and get a 560ti for around $200. It may not perform as well on your rig as on a sandy bridge rig, but if/when you upgrade your CPU in the future you'll have a better GPU to boot. It also, even though bottlenecked, should perform better than a 460 on your rig.
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:35:36 PM

560 ti was my first choice but in India it's current price is a bit too high
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 3:40:14 PM

BigMack70 said:
I'd just say get the best GPU you can buy. Your CPU isn't great but it's not bottom-of-the-barrel awful either.

My thoughts: Go ahead and get a 560ti for around $200. It may not perform as well on your rig as on a sandy bridge rig, but if/when you upgrade your CPU in the future you'll have a better GPU to boot. It also, even though bottlenecked, should perform better than a 460 on your rig.

His question was which card would be less bottlenecked with his processor, the answer is the GTX 460.

I would honestly invest that money into upgrading the the motherboard and CPU. That processor isn't terrible, but it will provide awful performance on today's titles at those resolutions. Remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. A Sandy Bridge Core i3 and a decent motherboard will set you back about the same as a GTX 560ti and will even improve performance with your current card. Also with the new Nvidia Kepler coming out soon might be worth it to wait a little as all GTX5** cards will drop in price.

Good answer in any case, Big Mac (mmm) :D 
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:44:38 PM

His question was also "which graphic card should i buy" and I answered that one, figuring the answer to "which will be less bottlenecked" was obvious (the weaker card).

If the 560ti is too much money, go ahead and get the 460. I'm not personally a big fan of the vanilla 560 - I don't think there's really much it can do that the 460 can't, and if the 460 is cheaper then I'd just get that if those were my options..
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:49:46 PM

Apparently the GTX 560ti compares more to the GTX 470 than the GTX 460. What about the Radeon alternatives?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 3:53:46 PM

The term bottleneck confuses most people. Most people don't care about words like bottleneck. Most people care about "what will get me the biggest increase in performance for my money". In this case a new GPU with your existing platform would make a bigger impact on your gaming than a shiny new platform with your current video card.

Here is a heirarchy of graphics cards. Your current card is 16 tiers below the 460 (which is 1 tier from the 560).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Here is a heirarchy of CPUs. Your current cpu is 4 tiers below the latest i3's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The platform upgrade (cpu mobo etc) would be a substantial upgrade but it won't improve your game performance by as much as a gpu update. Cheers!

*Update: the 560 will perform better than the 460, but they will put you in the same ball park for performance. If you can find the cash for the 560 go for it. If the 460 will make you about as happy for less money it's not a bad option.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 3:56:50 PM

The heirarchy I posted has AMD cards and NVidia cards that perform similarly side by side. Factor in the cost in your region and find something that meets your performance needs but is also a good deal!
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:58:28 PM

beltzy said:
The term bottleneck confuses most people. Most people don't care about words like bottleneck. Most people care about "what will get me the biggest increase in performance for my money". In this case a new GPU with your existing platform would make a bigger impact on your gaming than a shiny new platform with your current video card.

Here is a heirarchy of graphics cards. Your current card is 16 tiers below the 460 (which is 1 tier from the 560).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Here is a heirarchy of CPUs. Your current cpu is 4 tiers below the latest i3's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The platform upgrade (cpu mobo etc) would be a substantial upgrade but it won't improve your game performance by as much as a gpu update. Cheers!

*Update: the 560 will perform better than the 460, but they will put you in the same ball park for performance. If you can find the cash for the 560 go for it. If the 460 will make you about as happy for less money it's not a bad option.

+1 :sol: 
m
l
March 20, 2012 6:10:09 AM

Best answer selected by Prashant Indoria.
m
l
March 20, 2012 6:11:46 AM

thx guys for ur help gonna wait till april for nvidia's kepler and see if prices drop a bit
if not then gonna buy gtx 560
m
l
!