Upgrade for old games

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2012 3:36:30 PM

Hi All. I am currently running a 1 y.o. bargain rig designed primarily to use 32-bit Windows 7 and all my old XP software.
Its an Asus-based system with

ASUS P5G41T-M LX
Pentium DC E5800 (2 x 3.2),
4 gb RAM,
Nvidia GT210 (lame, but only wanted basic functionality).
19" TFT (max res 1024 x 768)

A while back, I decided to play a few casual games on it, stuff from 4-6 years ago. They run great...

BUT, I'd like to get a bigger screen...as big as possible 22-23-24"

So, here's some questions, even if they are stupid.

1. If I bought a new widescreen HD monitor and GT210 supports 1080HD, then clearly the desktop would be fine, but would the games from a long time ago go up to this, and would I suddenly find issues playing them?
2. If I bought a $100-150 gpu, would that help, and if so, would it be too good for the rest of the computer?
3.Would old games running at lower res look bad on a native HD monitor
4. Is it a bad idea, as even with a nice LED and GPU, the CPU itself is just going to be trouble?

I was thinking of

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my PSU is rated 450W.

I'd like to play Fallout 3 and Half Life 2 and maybe CODWM2/3.....

More about : upgrade games

a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 4:00:09 PM

First of all, running games like fallout will yes probably require a little more graphical power at 1920x1080, what you can do is lower resolution, it will be no problem in games lowering it, you will just notice big pixels since you are playing at small resolutions on a big screen.

Yes you will win a lot of performance with a 550ti, great graphics card, if you would like an AMD solution for a little more you can get a :
the performance will be higher, but personally i would go for Nvidia.

The panel looks, good 23" ips screen, for the price it is very good.

About the PSU, just make sure it can handle at least 400w for that graphics card, some psus are labeled 450W and can't get even close to those Wattages, so what is your PSU model? if it is from a good brand you should be ok, otherwise i would recommend changing it before changing GPU.
a c 107 U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 4:02:09 PM

The GT210 just isn't enough to play those games at 1080p (well maybe HL2 and less demanding games) with any decent quality so you may as well get a new video card. For the video card you're better off spending a little more for a Radeon 6850.

HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB $139.99

Your CPU can also overclock rather well and that would help limit any bottle necking of your new card. Do that and you will be able to even play modern games with decent quality.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 4:03:18 PM

Hi davidjuk. Your GT210 should be fine (it should have an HDMI port on it which will do the job nicely). As far as how games look, your video card should adjust things to fit the screen as best they can.

The games you listed are too TERRIBLY dated.

I'd recommend you give it a shot and try it out. It should run at slower framerates compared to your 1020x768 but it should work. Cheers.
a c 107 U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 4:03:58 PM

I'd also like to add that if you're only interested in playing older games you could save some money and go with a cheaper 6750 or 6770 but i think it's worth it to spend the extra money for the 6850 ^_^
March 19, 2012 4:04:19 PM

If you didn't upgrade the PSU, I would strongly recommend doing so before installing a high-end graphics card. That being said, I know someone who runs a 9800GT on a 350W OEM PSU. He hasn't had any problems so far.
a c 94 U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 4:14:27 PM

the gtx 560 ti ask for a 400 watts psu and a 6 pins connector with that 450 could be short on power for everything,if you want bigger screen you could start with that and when you will be ready upgrade the other parts of the system
March 20, 2012 9:31:56 AM

OK, so I've ordered the monitor.

bigj231 - I think you are wise, my PSU is unbranded (value range) and I think for $50 (£ English) I will just get a new one....

megamanx - I am looking at Radeon instead.

What do folks think?

Should I hold off on the graphics card and maybe get a better one to re-use in 2 years when I'll change my whole system. OR Maybe not even go as up to 550ti or 6850 and go with something a level down?

I really don't mind buying 6850 or similar, but if I end up running these basic/old games NOT in high def, then maybe it's just not needed.

I guess once the display arrives (3 days) I can play some with the new monitor using the GT210 at low res and see if I like it.

One last thing...most of these games I'm interested in recommend core2duo....according to things I've read the dual core 5800 is more or less the same, in fact it seems to be rated, particularly the higher end 3.2/3.3
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 10:38:06 AM

i would say, buy a good psu if you are thinking in future gaming, (600/700w corsair) and buy the screen, so i would wait for the nvidia KEPLER cards and check if you can find a good card for the money there, there will be a great performance increase, and a later i would change the rest (motherboard/cpu/memory) since you are with a new card changing cpu will Unblotleneck it, yes you 5800 will lower your performance even on 6850 but the bottlenecked performance over your old video card will be awesome already, so i would say, Monitor first, PSU and GPU later, last but not least Mobo CPU Memory.

if you really don't think in changing mobo/cpu/memory, i think that you can go with a 6850 for now, you will be a little bottenecked by the cpu but it will work and allow you to play all these games at max settings at 1080p.
March 20, 2012 11:56:17 AM

OK. So I will get the power supply anyway. Just need to decide between corsair/ocz and if to get modular.
I guess my plan is to only upgrade components that can be used again when I build the next PC in 22 months (I do one every three years for myself).
If I can get by without any kind of GPU upgrade for a while, maybe I can get a kepler when they come out, except not the top one, obviously....

it's just so tempting to get one now, even if I sell it on or leave it in the desktop when I sell it or give it away.

Everyone seem convinced by the Radeon 6850....it must be good.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 12:08:10 PM

davidjuk said:
OK. So I will get the power supply anyway. Just need to decide between corsair/ocz and if to get modular.
I guess my plan is to only upgrade components that can be used again when I build the next PC in 22 months (I do one every three years for myself).
If I can get by without any kind of GPU upgrade for a while, maybe I can get a kepler when they come out, except not the top one, obviously....

it's just so tempting to get one now, even if I sell it on or leave it in the desktop when I sell it or give it away.

Everyone seem convinced by the Radeon 6850....it must be good.

i've been using various corsair psus/and memory and never experienced problems, so personally i would go with a corsair, but if you find a good priced OCZ you can go for it, most of models are good also.

modular is interesting, something like, today you bought a new psu, awesome, your have plugged everything cables age perfect, all tied up, and so you decide to do Crossfire/sli and check that your psu is no enough. what can you do? just buy another psu, and it will be easy to remove it and you can use the same cables no need of untieing everything, and also you will be able to remove from the case the cables you are not using.

6850 yes if you have the money go for it, it is indeed very good and maybe in the future you will need more power than a 6850, so you can always go for it right now, and when you see games aren't playing the way you like, you can buy the "next gen" video cards and sell the 6850...
a c 94 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 11:07:21 PM

shure you could ad a new power supply use one that give you at least 2 6pins and 2 8 pins connector for graphic card something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|17-139-012^17-139-012-TS%2C17-139-035^17-139-035-TS%2C17-151-088^17-151-088-TS%2C17-153-131^17-153-131-TS to give you a idea
!