Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (Gaming) ??

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hi there my name is Preston and I just bought a used completely working Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX and I was wondering if this card could handle Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Diablo and World of Warcraft on low? Like on all those games if I turned the settings to low would it run them without any lag? I plan to use dual monitors with DVI using this card. And having an S-video to my tv with a component adapter. IS that putting too much stress on the card? So yeah plan to run 1 27" LED computer monitor and another 23" Computer monitor as a Dual setup.

I'm told it's a great Card it has full Direct X10 Support

So just tell me if it can handle most of the newer PC games out there:) Thank you.

Here is a Link to all specs of the card and benchmarks.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2006/11/08/nvidia_geforce_8800_gtx_g80/1

I really need to know if this card can play Skyrim on low. :) But if it can play it on medium to high that's ok too hehe :).

Let the Answering begin.

Solution

Crysis is almost as old, to be fair.

The 8800 GTX was a top of the line, high-end $600 Nvidia card several years ago. Its still a pretty capable card, and was rebranded as the 9800 GTX and [still somewhat available] GTS 250 if I remember correctly. You can certainly game decently on it, but its got pretty low memory and memory bandwidth by today's standards so AA might be a bit tough on it in some games. Skyrim tends to be a RAM hog so that might be a bit harder to run, but the others should be okay.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
It will run those games on low settings. However, keep in mind that this would be considered a budget card and you're not going to have all the eye candy available.

Most games can be played at low settings without much hardware so folks without expensive setups can play (aka buy) them.

Poor cards were king back in the day :) I have one sitting on my shelf things ate allot of power mine got so hot you would burn yourself if you touched it... Thats just how they ran. So to answer your question they perform on par with the gts 250 in fact has the same number of shaders. 9800gtx also same card just on smaller manufacturing processes and updated a wee bit. I would say medium setting for most games around. Should not have to stick to low.. just cram it in and have a go was a good card just happens to be 5 generations old so you will be putting some hurt on it.

Thent

Hmmm I reread your post is that 27 inch a 1920x1080/1920x1200 or a 2560xsomething? if its HD you will be fine if its the 2560 I wouldnt even try to game at that res. Also FYI it cannot handle 3 outputs only 2 at a time so you can have either 2 monitors running or 1 monitor and the TV with svideo. I would recomend running DVI or VGA to the TV if it has it svideo is a dying connection...

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
OK thank you so much so the graphics card will run hot unless i have 3 fans blowing on it XD :) anyways the monitor is a 1920x1080 and the 23" inch same story. Both made by samsung so I can play starcraft 2 on like high settings?

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
As For The Games You Listed, With Exception Of DX11 Support, You Should Be Able To Run Them On Fairly High Settings, As For Newer FPSes Except For BF3 Should Run Them Very Well On Medium/High Mix-Match Settings.

According To Maximum PC They Are Still A Viable Budget Card That Is Still Quit Powerfull.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
All these games run on consoles just fine - consoles that parallel the power of gaming PC's we had about 10 years ago. There is no question of whether it will run - it will.

But, THATS the reason people pay 2 grand for a "gaming computer". They dont want to just RUN the game, they want to EXPERIENCE it.

Best of luck :D

jeffredo

Distinguished
I have an 8800 GTX that I no longer use and out of curiosity the other day I popped in back in my case while cleaning my GTX 460. It ran Skyrim on the medium preset just fine (even though the game recommended low). I used it to play WoW for years - it could handle the Cataclysm-era "High" preset fine - smooth FPS everywhere. Both of those games make heavy use of the CPU as well - I have a Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz.

As for games from a few years ago it handled Fallout 3 and New Vegas with ease - almost max settings. Some more recent RPGs gave it trouble though - Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, Two Worlds II and Fable III were a slide show except on low settings.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
I just put this card on the shelf 2 months ago. Nothing wrong with it i just decided to upgrade. For an 5+yrs card it can play WOW on high, Starcraft 2 on med-high, DCUO med, Star Wars Force Unleashed med... hmmm... maybe I could sell my old card.

oxiide

Distinguished

Crysis is almost as old, to be fair.

The 8800 GTX was a top of the line, high-end $600 Nvidia card several years ago. Its still a pretty capable card, and was rebranded as the 9800 GTX and [still somewhat available] GTS 250 if I remember correctly. You can certainly game decently on it, but its got pretty low memory and memory bandwidth by today's standards so AA might be a bit tough on it in some games. Skyrim tends to be a RAM hog so that might be a bit harder to run, but the others should be okay.

Solution

Just saying, I think the 9800GTX+ was actually the one rebadged as the GTS250. Anyway I have a 8800GTX as well, and its super awesome. Still runs, but the fan on it is pathetic, just make sure you have adequate cooling.

death12337

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

MEEEEGA Late answer and you prob. already changed the 8800 GTX

For what it's worth the 8800 GTX can run Skyrim on high FULL settings. By using Boris Vorontov's direct 3D dll's.
Still playing CS:Go on it with 100+ FPS on 720p ,
Runs Resident Evil 6 on max graphics no lag at all.

So the card is pretty much still awesome (2014) :D