Mic jack damaged or something else?

tankz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello guys,1 month ago everything was working fine and i could talk via skype however after some time i moved my pc far from my desk and i saw that the jack of the headphones almost bended(the mic was plugged in).When i switched on my pc and i tried talking the mic didn't work.When i put in the mic the system recognises that a mic has been plugged in.I have tried many mics and none of them is working.I have 2 jack from the front side and from the back(the little bending happened at the back) and i tried them but nothing changed,I still can't talk.

popatim

Titan
You may have shorted the contactsi n the jack and possibly damaged the soundcard/onboard sound. Another possibility is the contacts in the jack are still bent and shorting out the input to the soundcard/onboard.

If the mics your tried (not the bent one) work in other systems and you don't have the mic muted then one of those is probably what the problem is.

If you have a soundcard you can remove it and inspect the jack closer and maybe even repair it. Given that a replacement soundcard is fairly cheap I would just replace it rather than send your out for repair. If you have onboard sound, just disable it in the bios and install a new card.

Here's an Asus Xonar DG (PCI). for $16 after rebate. I dont think you could match that quality for that price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020