Pc problem random crash

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hello my pc will run fine if i dont install any drivers for my graphics card but when i install any driver my pc will crash on game and on installing programs and on the internet it is just random. It will come up with a black screen sometimes grey and sometimes a blue blank screen and will not let me do anything the keyboard freezes too and will not respond. Is my gpu faulty or is there a setting i need to change in my bios???? help please its a new build also my bios is up to date and iv tried installing drivers from cd and from amd website same thing happens.

i bought my parts from scan.co.uk and returned the psu and gpu they said my gpu was fine and passed a benchmark (on mine it would freeze if i try to open a benchmark) and the psu was faulty and they sent a new one but it didnt change the problem. also i ran mem test overnight the results are clear.

specs..

mobo - sabertooth 990fx
cpu - phenom 965
gpu - msi 6870
ram - 8gb vengance ram 1600
psu - antec truepower new 650w

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hello yh the temps are seem fine. I ran prime 95 in safe mode and it seemed fine no cut off, I managed to do a gpu benchmark last month and it was fine and temp was good and no artifacts the benchmark was in furmark benchmark but now i cant run a benchmark as i get a crash every 5-10 minutes when i first built it it would crash every 20-30 mins now its got worse.

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
iv tried installing driver form the disk and tried the latest drivers from amd. and yh i uninstall the gpu drivers before i install the new one's

SoneeOO7

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If you have multiple sticks of ram pull one out at a time and see if you can run a benchmark completely. It also could be you hard drive,believe it or not,I once repaired a coworkers computer that had similar issues and it was the hard drive.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I would try a windows reinstall at this point, if you have checked major hardware, the last key parts you have left is windows and your mobo, and your mobo seems fine at this point.

Try an earlier version of the drivers, like 11.12 or something, for some reason the newest drivers were having problems for me.

Also use Driver sweeper after uninstalling and going into safemode, wipe the display drivers, then reboot and install new drivers.

Yeah create a small partition (like 50Gb) and install drivers + furmark and see what you get, have you checked the HD with HDtune or similar? have you also ran memtest with one stick of ram at a time and run windows memory diagnostic just to be sure

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
i tried the driver sweeper and uninstall and the same thing i also have done the hd tune and my hdd is ok. is there anything i can change in the bios maybe?

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hello i went to my freinds house yesterday and tried his old gpu and bingo my pc was working and runing my games no crash. so what could the problem be?

axtenar

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I'm guessing a faulty GPU? so here is what to do, install your GPU into your friend's system and update its driver to the latest version - if it crashed then we know what the problem.

The MSI 6870 is probably overclocked by the factory normally its not a problem, but try to underclock it by around 50Mhz and see what happens (grab MSI afterburner to do it, or use catalyst doesn't really matter)

Is it just a black screen or completely shutting off? also if your running comodo it might be doing something funny, I know I have to set permissions or else it wont let direct x run then it completely locks up my pc.

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hello i did a total format today and re installed windows with latest drivers and same problem :( and my pc will black screen or sometimes grey or sometimes blue its crazy. also my pc will stay on and not respond to anything on the keyboard the pc will freeze on that color screen i can open my dvd drive tho.

Yeah its most likely the GPU then, since if it was a power supply failure then it would simply shut down or something similar (also extremely noobish question but do you have the power cables plugged in to the card... don't bite my head off...its happened)

Yeah, thought so. Can you RMA it? if so I would if not then it should be still under warranty but it might cost some money for shipping :/ Tell them that you tried it with 2 different power supplies all above spec for that card and it does it on both.