Nikon D70 doesn't turn off

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 10, 2005 7:27:42 AM

Hi!

I took some photos in dusty conditions and my Nion D70 doesn't turn
off. Any ideas to fix this problem? How can I clean the off switch?

Marcin

More about : nikon d70 turn

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:09:56 PM

On 10 Jul 2005 03:27:42 -0700, in rec.photo.digital spam@wyprawa.net wrote:

> I took some photos in dusty conditions and my Nion D70 doesn't turn
>off. Any ideas to fix this problem? How can I clean the off switch?

I'd first try a little canned air duster to try and blow it out from around
the switch. On my CP-990 switch I've used a little Radio Shack Tuner
Cleaner/Lubricant with good results when the contacts got balky. Though I
would recommend holding the camera so the switch is at the bottom to allow
the cleaner to easily run out. If still under warranty, I'd give Nikon a
call.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
July 11, 2005 6:56:27 PM

On 10 Jul 2005 03:27:42 -0700, spam@wyprawa.net wrote:

>Hi!
>
> I took some photos in dusty conditions and my Nion D70 doesn't turn
>off. Any ideas to fix this problem? How can I clean the off switch?
>
>Marcin

If the switch turns but the camera does not switch off, first try the
hardware reset button at the bottom of the camera (just in case it is
not a hardware problem). If this does not work, I guess it is a trip
to the Nikon service center and a couple of weeks without your camera.
If you got dust inside the body, best let them clean the whole camera
as far as possible, or you are going to get more problems later.

If the switch is stuck you -might- be able to remove the dust with
compressed air, but you might also succeed in pushing it further into
the camera. I would not use any liquids.

Now you know that it is a good idea to put the camera in a plastic bag
with an elastic keping its mouth closed around the lens barrel in
dusty or moist conditions.
!