Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question on cords and cables in homebuilt computer

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2012 10:22:57 PM

Hello, I am building my own computer for the first time and I have come to the part where I need to connect all the cables and cords and I have run into a few questions:

1. There is an extra cable coming out of the PSU and the manual says that I need to connect it to the CPU socket. But on the motherboard there are no more sockets that look like that and the motherboard manual doesn't say anything about a CPU socket (for cables). There are, however, two ATX power connectors but those are both being used by the two other cords from the PSU and I assume those are for the motherboard power.

2. My motherboard has four fan sockets, a CPU fan, two chassis sockets, and one power fan socket. The problem is that I have four fans five including the CPU fan. So does that mean I can't use one of my fans?

3. My PSU is modular and in the manual it says that for modular PSUs I need to connect the end of each cable back into the PSU. Well there are no designated sockets left in the PSU and I don't know where to connect the ends. Is it ok if the cable ends are left open?

My PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-341-...

My Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks and let me know if there is anymore information you need.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 1:30:27 PM

Lessee. That motherboard requires the connection of two power cables - oh Lord, I just looked up the manual and it stinks! "The motherboard layout may vary with models?" You poor person.

I suspect that the motherboard has two connections for power, one 24-pin and one 8-pin supplemental. If you use a magnifying glass, or have better eyesight than I do, can you see labels on the motherboard next to each set of connections? If so, can you find two power connections? On the other hand, it's possible that that board does _not_ need the supplemental connection, so the power supply simply has a connection that you will not use!

For 2, you can buy a cheap connector that connects to t one of the Molex power connectors and splits out to a fan header - I have one in my machine.

For 3, you either need someone else or to provide more detail. Yes, every cable you use has to be connected to the power supply, or there will be no power in it. Did your supply come with more modular cables than it has places to connect them? That would be unusual.
May 21, 2012 1:47:31 PM

Cherokee Jack said:
3. My PSU is modular and in the manual it says that for modular PSUs I need to connect the end of each cable back into the PSU. Well there are no designated sockets left in the PSU and I don't know where to connect the ends. Is it ok if the cable ends are left open?

"For a PSU with cable management (modular), connect the other side of the cable to the corresponding connections on
the PSU."

All they're saying is one end of the cable goes into PSU, the other goes to your components. It's fine to leave any extra connectors on the components' side open.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 4:56:27 PM

Quote:
All they're saying is one end of the cable goes into PSU, the other goes to your components. It's fine to leave any extra connectors on the components' side open.

Ok thanks, I was confused on that.

Quote:
I suspect that the motherboard has two connections for power, one 24-pin and one 8-pin supplemental. If you use a magnifying glass, or have better eyesight than I do, can you see labels on the motherboard next to each set of connections? If so, can you find two power connections? On the other hand, it's possible that that board does _not_ need the supplemental connection, so the power supply simply has a connection that you will not use!

Ya I guess there will be an extra cable because it doesn't connect anywhere.

Thanks everyone.
m
l
May 21, 2012 4:56:55 PM

Best answer selected by Cherokee Jack.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 5:13:27 PM

So does it work?
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:28:59 PM

So far yes, I haven't completed all the installations yet but it boots up fine.
m
l
!