Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig (~800)

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2012 11:41:20 PM

My old computer is outdated, so heres what I intend to build.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I plan on using the Hard Drive and disk drives from my old comp, so will these new parts suit my gaming needs? (diablo 3, league of legends, sc2 etc)

Thanks in advance!

More about : gaming rig 800

a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 12:10:04 AM

I know you can do better, since my build below was ~730$ buying everything from scratch(830 if you count os)

so what exactly is your budget, i can probably whip up something for you with the rest of the budget, just answer a few questions:

1. Planning to Overclock?
2. Planning to SLI/Crossfire?
3. Any other peripherals do you need(i.e ssd, wireless cards etc)?

Heres a basic build using the full 800$ on parts that leaves room for overclocking and sli/crossfire:

Your Case on your wishlist
A Radeon HD 7850(you can change this to a 560ti 448 cuda if you prefer nvidia, itll cost more though)
Your choice of 2x4 gb ram
I5-2500k + Asrock Extreme3 Gen 3 Mobo
Buy a Hyper 212 CPU fan for overclocking and noise purposes
A quality psu of 750w+ for SLI/Crossfire: a few cheaper recommendations would be: Modular: Hive 750, OCZ Fatal1ty 750w, OCZ ZT 750w, Corsair TX 750w
Non Modular: Antec HCG 750w, PCP&C Silencer MKII 750w, The Mushkin 800w

If you're not planning to overclock/sli/crossfire much, you can downgrade mobo to a pro 3 gen 3 combo, and the psu to a Seasonic M12II 520w modular psu.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 12:25:43 AM

You could do with a phenom X4 as that you can overclock it on its stock cooler and it will stay cool. Believe me, my friend has done that and has got to 4.3GHz and the temperature was still at 51 degrees centigrade. The FX series is for like graphical presentations and casual gaming.
May 21, 2012 1:38:27 AM

dudewitbow said:
I know you can do better, since my build below was ~730$ buying everything from scratch(830 if you count os)

so what exactly is your budget, i can probably whip up something for you with the rest of the budget, just answer a few questions:

1. Planning to Overclock?
2. Planning to SLI/Crossfire?
3. Any other peripherals do you need(i.e ssd, wireless cards etc)?

Heres a basic build using the full 800$ on parts that leaves room for overclocking and sli/crossfire:

Your Case on your wishlist
A Radeon HD 7850(you can change this to a 560ti 448 cuda if you prefer nvidia, itll cost more though)
Your choice of 2x4 gb ram
I5-2500k + Asrock Extreme3 Gen 3 Mobo
Buy a Hyper 212 CPU fan for overclocking and noise purposes
A quality psu of 750w+ for SLI/Crossfire: a few cheaper recommendations would be: Modular: Hive 750, OCZ Fatal1ty 750w, OCZ ZT 750w, Corsair TX 750w
Non Modular: Antec HCG 750w, PCP&C Silencer MKII 750w, The Mushkin 800w

Sorry I forgot to mention, i already have the graphics card and psu (bought from a friend). So those really arent negotiable at this point. As for your questions,

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Dont know what these are (Im a novice with computers). I do use laptops at my house.

If you're not planning to overclock/sli/crossfire much, you can downgrade mobo to a pro 3 gen 3 combo, and the psu to a Seasonic M12II 520w modular psu.

a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 1:47:01 AM

InfamousMe said:
snip

So what would be your final budget w/o the dvd drive and hdd? what im thinking in my head is:

i5-2400 or i5-2500k(if you ever do decide to try overclocking)
Asrock z68 pro 3 gen 3 comboed with above
Seasonic M12II 520w Modular
8 GB ram
Optional: Hyper 212 Fan for a quieter cpu fan
a Case you want.
Then probably give you the freedom to spend the rest of the budget on the gpu of your choosing

I5-2400 + Pro3Gen3 mobo 277$
Seasonic M12II 520w modular
the optional cpu fan

Can probably let you decide what case/ram/and gpu you want. for ram, G.Skill and Corsair are the more preferred brands, with mushkin and patriot as one of the other brands that do decent with ram.
May 21, 2012 1:59:10 AM

I don't really have a budget, im just trying to go as cheap as i can. My build was based off of what a friend of mine just bought, and his is working well for him. Im not sure if i need that good of a mobo as the one you posted is, either. These suggestions are great though, and I really appreciate the help.
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 2:05:52 AM

InfamousMe said:
I don't really have a budget, im just trying to go as cheap as i can. My build was based off of what a friend of mine just bought, and his is working well for him. Im not sure if i need that good of a mobo as the one you posted is, either. These suggestions are great though, and I really appreciate the help.

if you want to go bare minimum on the mobo, the h61/h67/b75/h77 series work as well with the i5-2400s. just dont cheap out on the board too much, something along the lines of ~80$ should be alright. I offered the cheapest z68 board(105) because newegg combo deals only apply to the z68 boards with the sandy bridge generation cpus. the combo cuts the price by 18$, making it the same price as if you were buying an i5-2400 and another mobo that costed 87$(but you recieve a 105$ mobo instead). Intel processors do better in gaming when not overclocked, the i5-2400 is one of the entry quad core sandy bridge processors that allows you to safely play any game with respectable fps, including cpu intensive ones.
!