Sign in with
Your question

6990m Low gpu usage in games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 10:47:17 PM

I know allot about video cards but I really cannot figure this out.

I have a alienware m17x r3 im using the newest ati drivers.

In all games gpu usage is like 50-65% and I am lagging like hell.

Idea? power play is disabled.
March 19, 2012 11:53:55 PM

bottleneck seems to be in processor, or ram. but most likelly processor. also check in the power options from windows, it might be stuck on some powersaver mode.
m
l
March 20, 2012 12:00:20 AM

You have to be plugged in and not in any powersaving mode. check the power profiles.
The processor is usually standard with a 2.2ghz quadcore i can not confirm how well it does but i have seen it coupled with a 6990 and a 580m to do fantastic even on the highest settings so im thinking that you either, Have very low ram. such as 4 gb or the laptop is not plugged in meaning it cannot get what it needs to game.

hopefully you just gotta not being plugged in issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 1:05:20 AM

its not a ram problem even if it only has 4gb. that is more then enough to play and 32 bit game.

what game is given you problems? you can expect to much out of a 2.0 ghz cpu.
m
l
March 20, 2012 1:50:30 AM

cbrunnem said:
its not a ram problem even if it only has 4gb. that is more then enough to play and 32 bit game.

what game is given you problems? you can expect to much out of a 2.0 ghz cpu.

well thats wonderful about 32 gb gaming, but 4gbs is the bare minimum of a 64bit os which is usually installed on his system. it will cause lag in games if he has a antivirus in the backround and other things that use it. his cpu speed and his in particular is fine as ppl play with the 2.2 on highest settings, theres plenty of benchmarks to show so.

ill repeat that i think its either low ram or the power plug isnt in/power mode. its a common thing with games being at a snails pace when the power isnt plugged in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 1:02:39 PM

uglynerdman said:
well thats wonderful about 32 gb gaming, but 4gbs is the bare minimum of a 64bit os which is usually installed on his system. it will cause lag in games if he has a antivirus in the backround and other things that use it. his cpu speed and his in particular is fine as ppl play with the 2.2 on highest settings, theres plenty of benchmarks to show so.

ill repeat that i think its either low ram or the power plug isnt in/power mode. its a common thing with games being at a snails pace when the power isnt plugged in.

Everything you said depends on the game.. I can give you games that his cpu can not max just because of his cpu.
m
l
March 20, 2012 1:31:11 PM

cbrunnem said:
Everything you said depends on the game.. I can give you games that his cpu can not max just because of his cpu.

that is true in some respects but the low gpu usage post does come up for alot of people. more often than not it is because the user is playing unplugged. The OP needs to clearify whether he is plugged in or not.

my experience of that comes from similar post and also clevo/sager ppl having the same issue. same issue is found on notebookforum
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:42:53 PM

2720qm
6990m
120gd ssdx2 raid 0
8gb xmp ram.

I dont think my cpu is a bottleneck..

All the power saveing mods are on custom. I have turned all that crap off. I am still at 55-70% of gpu usage in rage at 1080p hitting 20-35 fps, When I first started playing rage I got 88-99% gpu usage and 60+ fps
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:44:11 PM

uglynerdman said:
that is true in some respects but the low gpu usage post does come up for alot of people. more often than not it is because the user is playing unplugged. The OP needs to clearify whether he is plugged in or not.

my experience of that comes from similar post and also clevo/sager ppl having the same issue. same issue is found on notebookforum

Yes its pluged in. Im a addict not a spawn lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 6:57:57 PM

cia24 said:
Yes its pluged in. Im a addict not a spawn lol.

what games are giving low gpu usage.
m
l
March 20, 2012 7:37:35 PM

how about v-sync? that thing can reduce 60fps to 30
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:51:18 PM

No, I have a badge in Gpus, I know how to fix 95% of things there is a weird issue here that is causing this so think out of the box.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:52:15 PM

cbrunnem said:
what games are giving low gpu usage.

Rage and skyrim
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 11:50:57 PM

cia24 said:
Rage and skyrim

skyrim needs atleast a 3.5-4.0 ghz Sb cpu to max it. thats your problem in that game. I dont know much about rage though.

there is nothing you can do. skyrim is just cpu dependent. patches have helped and so do some mods. you can try that.
m
l
!