Sign in with
Your question

New computer won't boot with GPU.... Please help

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2012 11:56:37 PM

Hi guys,
I finally made the plunge and bought all the parts to build my own computer at home. After carefully going through the system building process (using the excellent guide sticky found here at toms), I have a fully built computer. Problem is, the system will not boot with the GPU. If the GPU is removed from the system it boots perfectly. I have tried booting the system with the GPU plugged in and no power to the GPU, no change.

The applicable specs seem to be as follows:

GPU: ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU: XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply

I am really hoping you guys can provide me some guidance on what to try from here / what could be wrong. I am really hoping the GPU isn't a dud. Also, I wore an anti static wrist strap throughout the whole process, so I do not believe this was an issue.

Thanks so much for your help!

More about : computer boot gpu

May 21, 2012 12:18:54 AM

Wow, well, I have figured it out. And, to be honest, I feel a bit silly xD

I had plugged my computer into my monitor by using the plug on the back of my IO panel. This plug is older and would not connect to my GPU.

I suddenly realized that I should be plugging my monitor directly into the GPU itself. I pulled out my TV / DVD HDMI Cable and sure enough it worked.

Thanks for all the help the community provided in picking out my computer parts, and thanks to those who did the how to build sticky.

And to all.... A good night :p 

m
l
May 21, 2012 12:20:09 AM

So I have a couple of questions:

#1 do you get at least a POST beep with the 680 in?
#2 If the 680 is in after you turn it on and then move the monitor cables to the built in video on the motherboard do you get video?

Things you can try:

1. Update your motherboard BIOS
2. Move the 680 to a different PCI-e slot
3. If you know someone with a spare video card try that in the same PCI-e slot does it work? If so the 680 is bad send it back
4. Read your motherboard manual and see if there are settings that need to be adjusted in BIOS to get the GPU a better chance of working
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 12:20:56 AM

Make sure the GPU is connected properly to the power supply, that card needs 2 6 pin PCIe connectors from the PSU. Also make sure it's pushed in all the way, you should see none of the gold connector at the bottom of the card.

Honestly it sounds like there is a short somewhere when you put the card into the slot, make sure you seated the motherbord properly in the case with standoffs in the correct locations. Doublecheck where all of the leads from your PSU are going, and make sure nothing at all is touching the mobo or GPU circuits where it shouldn't be.

Does anything happen with the gpu inserted, any lights on the motherboard?
m
l
May 21, 2012 12:21:26 AM

Glad that it worked out!!! My post was like 2 minutes after yours lol
m
l
!