Closed Solved

4 Pin ATX to 6 Pin PCI-e

I have 2 ATX 4 pin power connectors like these ones:

http://droos.shobiklobik.com/droos/img/72756/tutorial-atx12_power_conn.jpg

that aren't being used in my build. So my question is pretty straightforward.
Is there any way that I could use these connectors to power a, for example, GTX 560 Ti at all? I already have a GTX 560 Ti and looking to upgrade my system so that it supports SLI but I don't want to spend on another power supply since mine is already 850W.

I apologize if this wasn't posted in the right section.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. What is the make and mdel of your PSU?
  2. Normally Genuine 850W PSU has 4 PCIe power connectors.. What is your psu model?
  3. uhm, you said ATX power conector, 4+4pins... as shown in the SS... dude, those are CPU 8pin conectors,they use 4+4 for older mobos... and newer uses the 8 pins. i wouldnt like to see what happen if i conect them in a Video Card, dont you have at least some molex conectors free? i mean you could instal your GPU with them using a molex-pcie conector, like this one

http://www.tranders.com.ar/imagenes/Fuentes/MOLEX_A_PCI-E.gif

Dot not plug your mobo with those, i really dont know what would happen, but im alsmot certain that those would fry your GPU...
  4. I would not risk running SLI with a shady "850W PSU" without at least 4x PEG connectors.
  5. Best answer
    Here is the complete guide to connecters from your PSU to the GPU's. I hope this helps and Good luck to you.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
  6. wiinippongamer said:
    What is the make and mdel of your PSU?

On the box it says Pixxo Transformer and it actually has the 80 PLUS badge. :o

Anonymous said:
    uhm, you said ATX power conector, 4+4pins... as shown in the SS... dude, those are CPU 8pin conectors,they use 4+4 for older mobos... and newer uses the 8 pins. i wouldnt like to see what happen if i conect them in a Video Card, dont you have at least some molex conectors free?

I have 4 molex connectors free, but I will be using them soon for some fans. However I'm thinking of getting the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 SOCKET 1155 MOTHERBOARD which has 5 connectors for fans.

It seems too much of a hassle and expense upgrading the whole build for SLI support so the "futureproofness" only lasts about 1 year to 2 years. I guess next time I'll have to save up and buy one expensive build right from the start. :D
  7. They do make molexs that do a"Y" config, so you can add fans as well.
  8. DM186 said:
    They do make molexs that do a"Y" config, so you can add fans as well.

Yes but doesn't that half the voltage going to the fans? And BTW I read the guide you posted so I'll choose you best answer but tomorrow, getting kind of late for me. :sleep:
  9. carlosb said:
    Yes but doesn't that half the voltage going to the fans? And BTW I read the guide you posted so I'll choose you best answer but tomorrow, getting kind of late for me. :sleep:

It lowers it a little but you will not notice anything. I have 7 case fan's and 3 MOBO conecters for the 3 fans. The rest are done through either molex or though my fan/temp controler.
  10. Best answer selected by carlosb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards ATX Power PCI Express Graphics