Your question
Closed

4 Pin ATX to 6 Pin PCI-e

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 11:43:54 PM

I have 2 ATX 4 pin power connectors like these ones:

http://droos.shobiklobik.com/droos/img/72756/tutorial-atx12_power_conn.jpg

that aren't being used in my build. So my question is pretty straightforward.
Is there any way that I could use these connectors to power a, for example, GTX 560 Ti at all? I already have a GTX 560 Ti and looking to upgrade my system so that it supports SLI but I don't want to spend on another power supply since mine is already 850W.

I apologize if this wasn't posted in the right section.

More about : pin atx pin pci

a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 11:59:05 PM

What is the make and mdel of your PSU?
March 20, 2012 12:32:11 AM

Normally Genuine 850W PSU has 4 PCIe power connectors.. What is your psu model?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 12:43:18 AM

uhm, you said ATX power conector, 4+4pins... as shown in the SS... dude, those are CPU 8pin conectors,they use 4+4 for older mobos... and newer uses the 8 pins. i wouldnt like to see what happen if i conect them in a Video Card, dont you have at least some molex conectors free? i mean you could instal your GPU with them using a molex-pcie conector, like this one

http://www.tranders.com.ar/imagenes/Fuentes/MOLEX_A_PCI...

Dot not plug your mobo with those, i really dont know what would happen, but im alsmot certain that those would fry your GPU...
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 1:58:48 AM

I would not risk running SLI with a shady "850W PSU" without at least 4x PEG connectors.

Best solution

a c 179 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 2:14:49 AM

Here is the complete guide to connecters from your PSU to the GPU's. I hope this helps and Good luck to you.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 2:45:49 AM

wiinippongamer said:
What is the make and mdel of your PSU?

On the box it says Pixxo Transformer and it actually has the 80 PLUS badge. :o 

horaciopz said:
uhm, you said ATX power conector, 4+4pins... as shown in the SS... dude, those are CPU 8pin conectors,they use 4+4 for older mobos... and newer uses the 8 pins. i wouldnt like to see what happen if i conect them in a Video Card, dont you have at least some molex conectors free?

I have 4 molex connectors free, but I will be using them soon for some fans. However I'm thinking of getting the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 SOCKET 1155 MOTHERBOARD which has 5 connectors for fans.

It seems too much of a hassle and expense upgrading the whole build for SLI support so the "futureproofness" only lasts about 1 year to 2 years. I guess next time I'll have to save up and buy one expensive build right from the start. :D 
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 3:28:56 AM

They do make molexs that do a"Y" config, so you can add fans as well.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 3:36:18 AM

DM186 said:
They do make molexs that do a"Y" config, so you can add fans as well.

Yes but doesn't that half the voltage going to the fans? And BTW I read the guide you posted so I'll choose you best answer but tomorrow, getting kind of late for me. :sleep: 
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 3:50:02 AM

carlosb said:
Yes but doesn't that half the voltage going to the fans? And BTW I read the guide you posted so I'll choose you best answer but tomorrow, getting kind of late for me. :sleep: 

It lowers it a little but you will not notice anything. I have 7 case fan's and 3 MOBO conecters for the 3 fans. The rest are done through either molex or though my fan/temp controler.

a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 7:41:41 PM

Best answer selected by carlosb.
!