Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I run 2 LCD Monitors in Dual View and a seperate LCD TV?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2012 1:06:31 AM

Here are the specs for the new build:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
Intel Core i5 2500k or if the price comes down enough with the release of Ivy Bridge a Core i7 2600k or better.
Dual SLI-EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FTW+ or EVGA GeForce GTX 560 TI Classified Ultra(Depends on affordability at the time)
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 PSU
16Gb Corsair Dominator 1333 (4x4GB Quad Channel Kit)
Corsair Airflow Memory cooler (packed with Quad Kit)
Corsair H100 Liquid cooler on CPU (4 fans in push/pull config)
Corsair White Graphite 600T Case
There are 5 7200 RPM Hard drives, 2 LG DVD-RW Light-scribe Drives and an additional fan controller with Multi card reader.

I will be building this once the Z77 Chipset is released. So prolly in a month or so. I already own everything except the Mobo, CPU and Video Cards.

I use my computer for everything. I play allot of games including BF3, AA3, CSS, Mass Effect 3, Crysis and others. I also plan to use it as my HTPC. I do allot of Adobe CS5 work also. Mostly Photoshop.

The Mobo supports LucidLogix Virtu MVP. I would like to know if this will allow me to run my two primary monitors in Dual View off the main GPU and then run my 47" LCD TV off of the On-board HDMI. From what I have read I can only run two monitors on the GPU's even with Dual SLI. So I want to know how I can run the TV as a separate Monitor to watch movies and stuff on.

So basically i just need to know how to run my two main monitors in dual view and also allow the TV to run at the same time as a separate monitor. I don't want to use spanning software or anything of that nature as it wont do what I want.

Thanks! :hello: 
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 1:49:03 AM

You have two GPU's so run one for the two monitors and the second one for the TV. Have you tried this to see if it works or not? I have read other people doing it this way.

The AMD cards you only need one card to run 3 monitors each having their own screen. I haven't tried it. I should just to see. I feel there shouldn't be a problem and good luck.
March 21, 2012 5:09:00 AM

I don't think you can do that with SLI. At least not as far as the FAQ on geforce.com would suggest. I guess I will just have to try it out. And I dont know about ATI/AMD cards. I'm not gonna spend all that extra money to find out. lol
Related resources
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 22, 2012 1:45:07 AM

etrnlxdarkness said:
I don't think you can do that with SLI. At least not as far as the FAQ on geforce.com would suggest. I guess I will just have to try it out. And I dont know about ATI/AMD cards. I'm not gonna spend all that extra money to find out. lol

I guess I maybe did not fully state a answer which caused you not to understand. I apologize for that. You have two nVidia cards in SLI as I do. I know that you can not run 3 monitors off of one card.

It takes two cards to run 3 monitors. I was saying try to use one card to power your two monitors and the second card to power your TV. I then said I should try that my self.

Now with AMD/ATI cards you can run 3 monitors off of one card with eyefinity. I don't see a problem on what you want to do. It should be ok to do that with out spending a lot or any money except the cables.
March 23, 2012 12:25:05 AM

DM186 said:
I guess I maybe did not fully state a answer which caused you not to understand. I apologize for that. You have two nVidia cards in SLI as I do. I know that you can not run 3 monitors off of one card.

It takes two cards to run 3 monitors. I was saying try to use one card to power your two monitors and the second card to power your TV. I then said I should try that my self.

Now with AMD/ATI cards you can run 3 monitors off of one card with eyefinity. I don't see a problem on what you want to do. It should be ok to do that with out spending a lot or any money except the cables.

Ok, awesome! Yes I misunderstood. I will definitely try this out. I have heard that this won't work but I don't see any reason why not. :)  Can you let me know if it works on your SLI set-up? That would be great! I don't yet have the board so I cant test it yet.

Best solution

a c 179 U Graphics card
March 23, 2012 1:26:35 AM

Ok I can run 3 monitors at the same time with my two GTX 550 Ti's. But to run my integrated GPU that is the onboard graphics will not work at all. It has to be two GPU's of the same.

When you put a reference card in the PCIe slot it cuts out the on board GPU. Now with certian AMD/ATI card and a certian chipset with a program you can use a GPU and use your onboard GPU.

I will link you to that. I myself just found out about it, but you are limited to a certian series of cards and chips sets. So if you still need to run the TV you will have to have two GTX 560 ti's.

One more thing since you have one of the cards it would be best to get as close to the card you have now. Reason being, If you have your card and you buy the other super clocked one.

And when you put them into SLI, your superclocked will run the same way as your first card. So don't spend a lot of extra for the superclocked with 2GB of Vram. When it will become like your first card.

You will not get the 2GB of Vram either. Some times I don't explain things well. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will try to clear it up. Good luck to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics#Hybrid...
March 23, 2012 5:10:32 AM

DM186 said:
Ok I can run 3 monitors at the same time with my two GTX 550 Ti's. But to run my integrated GPU that is the onboard graphics will not work at all. It has to be two GPU's of the same.

When you put a reference card in the PCIe slot it cuts out the on board GPU. Now with certian AMD/ATI card and a certian chipset with a program you can use a GPU and use your onboard GPU.

I will link you to that. I myself just found out about it, but you are limited to a certian series of cards and chips sets. So if you still need to run the TV you will have to have two GTX 560 ti's.

One more thing since you have one of the cards it would be best to get as close to the card you have now. Reason being, If you have your card and you buy the other super clocked one.

And when you put them into SLI, your superclocked will run the same way as your first card. So don't spend a lot of extra for the superclocked with 2GB of Vram. When it will become like your first card.

You will not get the 2GB of Vram either. Some times I don't explain things well. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will try to clear it up. Good luck to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics#Hybrid...

Alright sounds good. I understand. I don't care much how I have to do it as long as I can use three monitors and not have to span them. So sounds to me like it will work just fine. :) 

I wish I could afford to buy two of the new 680's. One of those can support 4 monitors at one time. 3 for 3d vision and one separate one. Pretty cool but ain't no way in hell I can afford it. lol

And yes Nvidia has the same type of Hybrid Graphics that work on the ASUS boards. It's called LucidLogix Virtu MVP. I dont know if any other manufacturer supports it or has anything like it. It works much the same way. And I believe it works for ATI cards as well.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 23, 2012 8:57:54 PM

Yes I to would like the 680 but not enough yet ot buy one maybe in a few years I can afford one then. I didn't know about Nvidia having the same as AMD on the same line of the lucidlogix virtu mvp. Anyway good luck to you.
March 24, 2012 2:34:49 AM

Best answer selected by etrnlxdarkness.
!