Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First-time PC build, monitor won't recognize graphics card/computer

Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2012 1:33:10 AM

Hello,
So I just finished putting together my first PC. The monitor is plugged into the DVI slot in the graphics card, but when I turn the system on the monitor can't seem to recognize it and says "DVI-D POWER SAVING MODE". The pc starts up, the graphics card is plugged in and the fan on it works but I'm not sure how to tell if I've maybe installed it incorrectly into the motherboard. It's in one of the blue slots with the tab on the end, if that means anything. It's a gigabyte 990XA-UD3 board and GeForce GTX 550 Ti NVIDIA graphics card. Can anyone think of what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 1:19:36 PM

Tough to diagnose remotely. First, are there any "beeps" coming out during the boot process, or are there any little lights on the motherboard that are illuminated? (my mobo has a light for the CPU, for memory, for graphics - they stay on if there is a problem. Sweet.)

If you have access to another machine, you can try the usual component swapping. Will that monitor with that cable work on another PC (take it to a friend's house, if necessary)? If not, you don't have to spend time troubleshooting the PC!

Classic advice includes reseating everything, unplugging all but the minimal amount of memory, and removing everything except the CPU, memory, and graphics card. It sounds like your card is in one of the x8 slots ("tab on the end") instead of the x16 slot (a lever), but it should work just fine.

If you have only two memory sticks, they should be in the same-color slots (oddly, that board doesn't seem to have a preference which pair). You could try booting with only one memory stick, then only the other, in case one of them is bad. I just recently had a no-video boot where the problem was memory that was not seated properly.

Have you connected both the 24-pin and the 8-pin power connectors to the motherboard?

Let us know what you see and we may be able to focus in more on the problem.
May 21, 2012 6:41:54 PM

Oh I was typing out all these things and suddenly it's working! Your suggestion of trying one ram piece and then the other seems to have done it, which is extremely annoying because all these components are brand new. I'm going to try the other piece again, hopefully I'm just not insterting it properly and it isn't faulty. Thank you so much! :) 
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 6:42:19 PM

Best answer selected by M31.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:55:21 PM

I'm glad it was that easy.
m