Is it worth it if using a great graphic card BUT not cpu?

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
For example, if I use Intel Pentium 4 single-core (around 2.5~3GHz) with ATI Radeon HD 7950 with 2x2GB DDR3 1066 RAM dual channel, is it worth it?
Will it play NFS Shift 2 like the gaming pcs do?

Pls give reason as detail as possible.

Solution
Certainly not. The Pentium 4 is a very old CPU that is only single core. Most games require dual core as a minimum these days. The Pentium 4 also uses a very slow architecture compared to modern CPUs. It executes far fewer instructions per clock cycle than a modern CPU. As such a Pentium 4 clocked at 3 GHz would probably at best equal a single modern core from intel running at 1.5GHz. A Radeon HD 7950 needs something considerably faster than that to feed it data. If you paired up a 7950 with a Pentium 4, the 7950 would probably only be able to run at 50%, because it would be waiting constantly for the CPU to feed it data.

In any case, NFS Shift 2 needs at least a dual core CPU to even run. So you will need a CPU upgrade at the very...
Certainly not. The Pentium 4 is a very old CPU that is only single core. Most games require dual core as a minimum these days. The Pentium 4 also uses a very slow architecture compared to modern CPUs. It executes far fewer instructions per clock cycle than a modern CPU. As such a Pentium 4 clocked at 3 GHz would probably at best equal a single modern core from intel running at 1.5GHz. A Radeon HD 7950 needs something considerably faster than that to feed it data. If you paired up a 7950 with a Pentium 4, the 7950 would probably only be able to run at 50%, because it would be waiting constantly for the CPU to feed it data.

In any case, NFS Shift 2 needs at least a dual core CPU to even run. So you will need a CPU upgrade at the very least to get the game running. A new system would be the best solution if you have a Pentium 4. Pentium 4s are ancient by today's standards, and your motherboard probably has limited support for a decent CPU.

Solution

rorgier10

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
you don't need an fantastic cpu for gaming but i suggest you should buy at least an dual-core with that gpu
ram will be enough for gaming
it would look good with an i3 around 3ghz.
if you want to play more demanding games you need an i5 but for NFS games that's already a bit overkill

Sempron 140 is still only single core. It is much more efficient than a P4, so it would be able to keep up with a 9800GT. Problem is, you'll only be playing older games with that setup, as I said above, most games have dual core CPUs as a minimum. You could try unlocking the disabled core on your CPU if your motherboard supports core unlocking. Core unlocking isn't certain though, those core are often disabled for a reason, you have a 50/50 shot at a successful unlock at best.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
yeah. my motherboard can unlock extra cores. but unfortunately, my cpu is the bad one. i use ASRock N68C-GS FX that capable to unlock AMD CPU core/s with NVidia nForce 630a. thats the unfortune for me... well, i want to overclock my cpu to at least 3.8GHz. my mb manual says that Sempron 140 capable to overclock till 4.1GHz with correct setting. but no matter what i do, it just maximise (or in american, maximize) to 3.48GHz. i wonder why...

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
well, budget reason (i cant even afford buying AMD Athlon II X2 260 even that is my minimun ideal) ... i still a mid-school student who is ~~~(not to be explaned)
well, i want my system to be special too. just... why cant i unlock my cpu... at least, if it is unlocked, im very satisfies with stock clock (in dual core). well, a little bit overclock is fine...

Im searching for altenative way (although it may impossible) while saving money to buy at least 9800GT and/or Athlon II X2 (or even faster if capable with my system like AMD FX-4100).

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I wouldn't spend $300 on a GPU to pair it with just a Sempron CPU. There are cheaper GPUs out ther that will cost half that that can handel your game and spend that other half on a better CPU.