Is this a good build?

Hello everyone I am new to these forums. This is also my first computer build. So far what I have seems to be pretty good, but I want to make sure what I have picked out is good combination. For example I don't want anything that is overkill or insufficient. Also is there anything I'm missing or that doesn't fit(I already have a mouse)? My budget is $1400, and here is what I have:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Processor: Intel i7 2700k

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb(4x4gb) DDR3 SDRAM

Graphics Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850

Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2

Hard Drive: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache

DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA

Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Fans(not including fans that come with case): Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP(two of these) and one Cooler Master 80mm Dual Ball Bearing Case Fan Black - (SAF-B82-E1)

Network Card: TRENDnet Gigabit PCI Adapter Card TEG-PCITXR

Sound Card: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

Keyboard: Anyware Computers Full Size Multimedia USB Lighted Keyboard w/ Backlit Blue LEDs

Display: HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor - Black

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
18 answers Last reply
More about good build
  1. Cut back the CPU to an i5-2500k. Cut back RAM to 8gb for gaming. Drop the sound card as onboard is good enough. The MOBO also comes with a same quality NIC. Drop the case fans as the case you chose has plenty of cooling. Keep one, though, 120mm fan for the EVO for push-pull. Drop the MOBO down to a GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H Rev 1.3 as the PRO has features you might not need. Use the $ saved to get a GTX 670 as the GPU is the most important component behind the PSU, and your GPU sucks tbh.
  2. azeem40 is correct, I'd say follow his advice
  3. The only thing with that is that I wasn't necessarily aiming to build a gaming pc. I generally prefer the consoles, but possibly in the future I may switch to pc since the graphics are better. But for now I will use it play Minecraft which is more ram oriented instead of cpu/gpu. Also I may host a Minecraft server, which is why I wanted a bunch of ram. Finally your suggestions put me $150 over budget. One way I could make your suggestions work is to get a graphics card for under $300. Any suggestions?
  4. That's a good idea, what do you think about the gtx 480. If i got that then I could upgrade to a 2700k and a noctua fan.
  5. willze7 said:
    That's a good idea, what do you think about the gtx 480. If i got that then I could upgrade to a 2700k and a noctua fan.


    The 2500k will compete with the 2700k unless you are doing heavily threaded things. DO NOT get the 480...it is like having a space heater in your case. You can find a gtx 570 which outperforms it and is much more efficient for around 250 if you look hard. Also if you want an i7, get the 2600k, the extra 100 mhz is not worth the extra money. Minecraft will not use more than a gig of ram i believe unless you edit the java files so 16 gb it overkill for almost everything.
  6. mad2 said:
    The 2500k will compete with the 2700k unless you are doing heavily threaded things. DO NOT get the 480...it is like having a space heater in your case. You can find a gtx 570 which outperforms it and is much more efficient for around 250 if you look hard. Also if you want an i7, get the 2600k, the extra 100 mhz is not worth the extra money. Minecraft will not use more than a gig of ram i believe unless you edit the java files so 16 gb it overkill for almost everything.

    On amazon the 2700k is actually $10 less than the 2600k, which is why I chose it over the 2600k. Also would a $250 570 be cheap quality, like an off brand model or something. Because if that's the case I'd prefer a slightly slower, main brand gpu.
  7. willze7 said:


    I actually got a 250$ evga gtx 570 not too long ago off newegg. Evga is amazing..and i think that link is to a 560.
  8. mad2 said:
    I actually got a 250$ evga gtx 570 not too long ago off newegg. Evga is amazing..and i think that link is to a 560.

    I know its a 560, but it seemed to be pretty fast. It was 2gb compared to the 570's 1.25gb. So would you recommend this one or is it a lot slower than the 570?
  9. willze7 said:
    I know its a 560, but it seemed to be pretty fast. It was 2gb compared to the 570's 1.25gb. So would you recommend this one or is it a lot slower than the 570?


    Oh my bad...a 560 is much slower. Here's a link for 560 ti for 205 after rebate and it will be faster than that 560 but slower than a 570. Still a great card.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604
  10. Alright, that sounds good. Here is the Final Result. Any Suggestions to this?:

    Motherboard: ASUS Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V

    CPU: Intel i5 3570K

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb(4x4gb) DDR3 SDRAM

    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

    Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2

    Hard Drive: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache

    DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA

    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14

    Fans(not including fans that come with case): Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP(two of these)

    Keyboard: Anyware Computers Full Size Multimedia USB Lighted Keyboard w/ Backlit Blue LEDs

    Display: HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor - Black

    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

    Do I need network/sound cards or does the case have them built in?
  11. The mobo will have sound output as well as ethernet. Also gpu's with hdmi ports will output sound through hdmi.

    Everything looks good!
  12. Ok thanks, two more questions. Is it better to have the 560 ti 1gb or 560 2gb (currently I chose the 1gb)? If I were to get the 2gb then I would have to downgrade to an i5 2500k and a different motherboard. Second question is what is SLI and what difference does it make?
  13. forget about the SLI part both options have it so it doesn't matter.
  14. for the 1 gb vs 2 gb it depends on the resolution you plan on playing on. 1 gb should be fine to 1080p where the 2 gb is good for like 1440p or whatever that upper resolution is. And SLI is running two cards at the same time linked with an SLI bridge. Its a dual gpu setup.
  15. Ok yeah i'll stick with the 1gb. I'm only using a 1900x600 1080p. And I don't have two graphics card so I don't need SLI. Thanks for all of the help.
  16. willze7 said:
    Ok yeah i'll stick with the 1gb. I'm only using a 1900x600 1080p. And I don't have two graphics card so I don't need SLI. Thanks for all of the help.


    Anytime!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product