Cannot write to Drive C:

G

I get a blue screen "Cannot write to drive C" error in Win98. I am using an Acer 8x4x32 CDRW connected as the master secondary drive. I recently upgraded my computer to an AMD Duron 750 but kept my old hard drive. I did re fdisk and reformat (several times) but when I try to record a disk it goes to the write to drive C error after reading the disk. Any suggestions other than removing the CDRW?

TIA
Rick

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does the CD-writing software try to create a temporary CD-image on C: drive before writing it to CD? This is common with CD-writing software, and they generally need as much as space your target CD is to contain. Means if you are creating a 600 MB CD, your software will first create a 600 MB image on your hard disk and then proceed to write it on CD. Although most software have an option to turn this off ("on the fly writing"), make sure your hard disk has adequate space if this feature is on.

Manish

<i>I have started to be irregular with this site now...</i>

G

Thanks for your reply.
Yes the cd writer is set to write the temporary contents to C:\Windows\temp (perhaps by default?)and it just occurred to me that I may not have such a folder since I reformatted. I do have over 3 gigs of free space on drive C. The software requires that I designate a location for the temporary contents before writing to cd.

Be right back,
Rick

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
how big is your swap file?? try setting one at min 1/2 your physical ram and max = your ram
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
looks like your mobo has bad IDE controllers (bugs in hardware) and does not initialize them right, or so. I had same thing with Classic Athlon mobo (A7M) and SCSI hard drives, so I could set the system right and all that, but it would not work for a long time.

Anyway, put them together (CDRW and HD) on the same IDE controller (same cable) and try that. Other than that, knowing what setup you are using would help more.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

Where do I manipulate that? I have seen a write variable in System Properties/Performance/Files System. Is that the place? I've about concluded it is my Adaptec Direct CD software. With Adaptec Easy CD Creator I can successfully copy an audio cd but not a direct data cd or direct audio copy.
Thanks,
Rick

G

I have been able to use Adaptec Easy CD Creator to copy audio tracks. I still cannot copy disk to disk audio or data using Adaptec Direct Cd. Recently I've been getting the RPC Engine Run error in addition to the blue screen cannot write when attempting the direct copy.
I have double checked the loading of the mobo drivers from the manufacturer's disk. A thorough scan w/fix revealed no drive errors but I don't know about the controller issue.
Thanks,
Rick

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Yes it is in the performance properties listed as virtual memory .. choose to define your own and set it on your c drive

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>