Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the signs of CPU damage?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2012 12:11:22 PM

Hello,
My first attempt at building a comp. When I did a test boot my cpu fans didn't spin. I left it on for about 10-20 seconds (maybe more), turned it off and on a few times trying to figure out what the heck was going wrong.

I finally figured out that it was the fan wire that was obstructing the fans from spinning. Newbie mistake but hey i'm a newbie. Anyway my computer's running fine but after reading that a cpu can damage in 1-2 seconds, I was just wondering if there's a chance that my cpu is damaged, what are the signs of a damaged cpu?

PS I'm running an i5 3470

Thanks.

More about : signs cpu damage

a c 850 à CPUs
September 10, 2012 12:14:36 PM

Instability or does not work at all. It is unlikely with new CPU's getting damaged since there are safeguards in place to throttle down/shut them off. If everything is working fine you have nothing to worry about.
m
l
September 10, 2012 12:23:18 PM

Provided your heatsink was in place with thermal compound I wouldn't worry. In that amount time you're unlikely to have saturated the heatsink anyway. Like rolli59 says, they have thermal trips to stop them damaging themselves too :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Thanks guys,

What about any form of degradation? Does extreme heat cause a CPU to perform worse?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2012 3:48:49 PM

dev851 said:
Thanks guys,

What about any form of degradation? Does extreme heat cause a CPU to perform worse?

Like they were saying. It won't even allow it's self to get to *extreme heat* temps. Before it ever reaches that point your system will shut it's self off.

To answer your question... Extreme heat would kill or degrade a cpus performance yes. But it's very unlikely it would ever reach that point with out turning off the safe guards and purposefully pushing it to those temps.

*edit* why are you so concerned? Are you having an issue performance wise? Let us know we may be able to help and it may have nothing to do with your cpu :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 10, 2012 3:49:52 PM

extreme heat (90*c or more) can cause degregation over the time that the heat is applied. With that damage it will have lower OC potential, or require more voltage to maintain a set clock speed, and eventuially the CPU will fail and simply not work.

Intel chips (especially modern ones) have a lot of thermal protection built into them, so that once they get hot they basically shut themselves down to prevent damage. If your computer is working now, and with stock settings and the stock cooler runs in the mid 60's to mid 70's Celsius, then I would think that you are just fine and should not worry about it.

thermal runaway (which was a problem with early pentium 4's and everything before it) was a bit of a problem, and would burn out the chip in secconds. Burn out typically meant that the CPU was fried and would need to be replaced, but on occasion you would get smoke, and possible thermal damage done to the mobo itself, but those were rare. Today a CPU will downclock within milisecconds of getting too hot, which will normally save the CPU and other components from any damage.
September 10, 2012 3:51:28 PM

dev851 said:
Thanks guys,

Anything blow 90C for Ivy Bridge (83C for Sandy) is considered safe operating temperature in most OC guides, their Tjmax(max temp before CPU automatically throttles down is 105C/98C so as low as you stay away from those temps you should be fine.

In pratice most people keep their CPU at anything below the low 80s.
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:03:13 PM

It was more of a curious question, since building this comp I just wanted to know more :) 
Prior to this I had next to no knowledge about the inner workings of a pc, so I find it fascinating. Probably not the best place to gather knowledge as the forums here seem to concentrate on troubleshooting but I appreciate the response.

Wish I could select more than one as the best answer but caedenv for his comprehensive explanation on degradation and a bit of history lesson. Thanks everyone!
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:06:08 PM

Best answer selected by dev851.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
September 10, 2012 4:22:56 PM

Here's an old THG video that shows the difference between Intel's first generations of thermally protected CPUs (P3C and P4) vs AMD's non-protected CPUs back then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

While doing the same stunt today would still not be recommended, modern CPUs all have those built-in protections and should live to boot another day.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2012 4:39:18 PM

lol, forgot about that video. Those were the days :D 
m
l
!