Problems connecting homebuilt computer to TV

Cherokee Jack

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hello, I am working on building my first computer and I have completed the tower. I plan on using my HDTV as the monitor. The problem is that nothing appears on the TV when I have the computer connected and turned on (The TV is on the right input).

The computer itself turns on and runs fine and I am pretty sure I here clicks when I use the keyboard so I don't think that is the problem.

I have connected the computer to the TV using an HDMI to HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI cable and neither of them work.

The computer I am using now to write this is an iMac so I don't think I will be able test the computer by connecting it that way.

Solution
Then I reinstalled the GPU and moved the DVI cord from the motherboard to the GPU socket and that also worked. So is that how it is supposed to be?

Yes. When using a discrete graphics card, the monitor needs to be connected to the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Since you have it working now, you should be able to go into NVidia Control Panel and determine/adjust your resolutions. I think NVidia implemented the control where you had to click to save the new resolution within 15 seconds or it reverts back (can someone else please confirm this?). If you adjust the resolution and the monitor goes blank, just wait and 15 seconds later, the monitor should revert back to the last saved (working) resolution.

-Wolf sends
if your tower has a video card and onboard video one of them will be turned off at post. if you dont have a video card and your mb has the onboard video port it will only work if you used a cpu that has a gpu built into the cpu. you should be able to see the mb post screen if the cables are connected right and the mb is posting.

Cherokee Jack

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I have both a video card and an onboard video that are supposed to work at the same time. And I'm not sure if it's the TV or the computer that is the problem but either way nothing appears.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Please list your system specs and HDTV model number so everyone knows what we're dealing with here.

I'd probably recommend uninstalling the graphics card and connecting the HDTV to the system via on-board graphics only. See if you can see anything when you boot up.

-Wolf sends

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Question, did you set the proper resolution on your computer before connecting it to the TV?

Most monitors will have a resolution larger (and smaller) than an HDTV will go, so you must set the proper resolution before you connect. TVs have very few resolutions they will display. Do you have a different monitor you can test the video output with?

With my TV, I would normally not see the BIOS POST testing or the windows loading screen as they were at a "Basic" resolution. My TV would not display these, then when windows boots at the proper resolution, it would work properly.

Cherokee Jack

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

HDTV: Emerson 39" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, LC391EM3

So I tried uninstalling the GPU and it worked. Then I reinstalled the GPU and moved the DVI cord from the motherboard to the GPU socket and that also worked. So is that how it is supposed to be? I always thought it had to be connected to the motherboard.

Do you have a different monitor you can test the video output with?

And no, I don't have another monitor to test it on so I don't know what the resolutions are set at.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Then I reinstalled the GPU and moved the DVI cord from the motherboard to the GPU socket and that also worked. So is that how it is supposed to be?

Yes. When using a discrete graphics card, the monitor needs to be connected to the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Since you have it working now, you should be able to go into NVidia Control Panel and determine/adjust your resolutions. I think NVidia implemented the control where you had to click to save the new resolution within 15 seconds or it reverts back (can someone else please confirm this?). If you adjust the resolution and the monitor goes blank, just wait and 15 seconds later, the monitor should revert back to the last saved (working) resolution.

-Wolf sends

Solution