120mm Cougar’s with Fan Controller…Too Loud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren_ha

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
So I’m looking at getting a 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP PMW fan as it’s on a sweet sale on newegg. I am concerned however about its sound at 100%
I have a Corsair Carbide 400R and want to use this fan for intake, and was planning on hooking it up to my “NZXT Serenity Mesh” fan controller. As the fan is a PMW fan, is there any way to control its speed? (The fan controller is a 3pin)
And if not, can anyone tell me if this fan would be too loud at 100% as I don’t really trust the manufacturers specs on dBs.

Solution
Most 120mm fans aren't that loud at 100%. I run all my fans except my CPU fan at 100% all the time and I don't even really notice the sound my PC makes unless I specifically tune into it.

I mean my computer is nowhere near what I would call silent, it does make sound that is easy to hear if you listen for it, but its usually not obtrusive either even with 6 or 7 fans of 120mm running at 100%.

If you read some bad reviews for the product (a good idea before buying anything) then as long as you don't have a lot of complaints about it being too loud you are probably fine.

Loren_ha

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

My Mobo is super old and doesn't have any 4 pin headders....just 3 pin =(

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Still they won't be very loud, You could always get one of these- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-inch-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B002DY7M1G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1 and control the fan using your fan controller ,4 pin fans will fit in 3 pin fan connectors like this,

4pin1.jpg

Loren_ha

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah,
If that is the case, the fan comes with a 4pin to molex adapter, and I have plenty of molex connectors open from my PSU.
I would like to have a control over the speed, but if it’s quite I could run it at 100% I guess.
9USD is pretty cheap for this fan…

Most 120mm fans aren't that loud at 100%. I run all my fans except my CPU fan at 100% all the time and I don't even really notice the sound my PC makes unless I specifically tune into it.

I mean my computer is nowhere near what I would call silent, it does make sound that is easy to hear if you listen for it, but its usually not obtrusive either even with 6 or 7 fans of 120mm running at 100%.

If you read some bad reviews for the product (a good idea before buying anything) then as long as you don't have a lot of complaints about it being too loud you are probably fine.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.