Sign in with
Your question

Critique/Advice for improvement.

Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2012 3:20:39 AM

Fell free to give your advice and comments please.

The system being upgraded:

Old Parts:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775
CPU, O.C to 3.2 since 2007. Still rocks lol.
Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
Mother board still kicks ass, but cant compete with new age work demands.
Graphics Card: PowerColor AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

New Parts: Will be use for Gaming mostly. I wanted to upgrade one of my old system, but also make it super power efficient. So i choose the part with that in mind. Also using parts that are, best bang for the buck, with O.C potential.

CPU: Still deciding, IVY or SB?? (Will manual O.C from day 1; but just to 4ghz. Eventually higher later down the line).
Tower: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mother Board: ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Might get 2x4GB if i feel the need.
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel
Going with Artic Silver Ceremaique 2 thermal compound.
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPSV12 v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
SSD is only for OS, and essential programs. With 1T drive for storage. Also 200gig of Steam game lol.
Graphics Card:PowerColor AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

About CPU, please feel free to give me your advice which i5 to go with. Ivy Or SB. Naturally i will go with unlocked version.

Graphics card will be upgraded too, XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850. Just waiting for its competitor. Also which ever card i choose they need to have Dual DVI links.

EDIT1: OS is Windows 7 64bit.
May 21, 2012 3:33:29 AM

absolutely no need for that large of an SSD ... you're better off buying a larger 3.5 SATA drive and dropping your SSD down to 30 (or 64 at most but really only 30 for what you're doing). However, it's hard to say exactly what size you need without knowing your OS and other essentials but regardless, that SSD is waaaay big.

As for Ivy versus Sandy, I always plan on holding onto my APUs for a good bit - so i go hard after the fastest thing on the market ... however, if you're not going to go top line, then I don't usually see the reason to worry about the latest and greatest technology. So money tight? then go with Sandy .... otherwise, get as fast of an i7 as possible.
m
l
Anonymous
May 21, 2012 3:54:28 AM

I'd get i5-3570k, I have the older SB i5-2500k and I'm loving it. if your not an over clocker than a any other ivy i5 should do, I think there is only 3 on the market right now. i5 desktop cpus kick a$$ you don't need i7. I would go with 8gigs of ram 2x 4gig matched. 6gigs is the sweet spot for gaming. get a 64gig crucial m4 ssd and a larger data drive, I agree that 128gigs is too much. an ssd does nothing for gaming if you install on the ssd so its better to use it for an OS and most of your basic programs. games, Microsoft word or anything that is a spacious install should be installed on the mechanical drive
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 4:05:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing about SSD, i already have the SSD. Got it at awesome price from Buy.com for $95. I couldn't say no to such great deal for that SSD. Also i might use SSD for one or two game that i would play alot. Like Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Also big fan of O.Cing. So i tend to O.C parts from day one. But not to crazy levels, that come later down the line lol.

helpermonkey said:
So money tight? then go with Sandy .... otherwise, get as fast of an i7 as possible.

Money not really an issue for most part. I have no need for HT. So i am going with i5 just need to figure out IVY or SB. I am leaning towards IVY...

m
l
May 21, 2012 4:12:14 AM

No need for the compound. The EVO comes with MX-14, a really good compound.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:12:47 AM

azeem40 said:
No need for the compound. The EVO comes with MX-14, a really good compound.

Is that better then Ceramique 2. I wanted to try Indigo Xtreme, i heard some really great thing about it. Especially if i decide to go with IVY. Dam chip run hotter when O.C. Too bad Newegg dont sell them. I wonder if any one in this community using Indigo Xtreme. Would really like to hear first hand some one personal opinion about that product.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:55:56 AM

Yes, it is better. No curing time.
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:04:21 AM

dudewitbow said:
if your overclocking just to 4.0, then ivy bridge will probably float your boat better

do yourself a favor and save 15 here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

and somehow fit enough budget for 8 gb ram. you might want it.

Thanks, that is a nice deal man. I got lucky and got a pretty cool deal too :D . The board only costing me $180. And if i decide to go with IVY i5-3570k, it will only cost me $209. I have 4 more days to decide on chip to take advantage of that specific deal...

Yes, i will definitely add 8gig rams (low profile), when i get the GFX. I experimented on my other gaming system. Took out all my RAMs, put in 2x2gig. Every game i played, left like 1.2gig of ram free. So that's why i figured i be ok with 4gig, just for now. I already have 8gig of rams, but they have huge fins on top. Might get in the way of cooler. So that's why i am using my spare 4 gig ram, they are low profile.

azeem40 said:
Yes, it is better. No curing time.

Thanks for that, i forgot they needed curing lol. I will be putting that system to sleep every day for least 5 hours. So i don't have to go out of my way for curing. What i am wondering is will the Ceramique 2 perform better after curing, compare to other thermal paste?
m
l
May 22, 2012 4:34:59 AM

just a quick note re hyperthreading - if you ever get into using handbrake, the ht will make a big difference ;-)
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:36:00 AM

The difference is so small either way that it is negligible.
m
l
May 22, 2012 7:14:56 AM

Thanks again every one for all your inputs.

I will go with Mx-14, and see how things run. About HT, yeah it help alot, unfortunately i never had a pleasure of using handbrake... Just never had the need for using any trans coding program.
m
l
!